Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 11,997
» Latest member: dabu3069
» Forum threads: 1,585
» Forum posts: 6,511

Full Statistics

Online Users
There are currently 275 online users.
» 0 Member(s) | 270 Guest(s)
Applebot, Bing, Facebook, Google, Yandex

Latest Threads
Boot 32 bit Windows
Forum: Ventoy Plugin Forum
Last Post: Rootman
1 hour ago
» Replies: 1
» Views: 21
Is it time to update Vent...
Forum: Ventoy Discussion Forum
Last Post: Epictetus
09-17-2024, 12:36 PM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 845
Ventoy 1.0.99 is the fina...
Last Post: Rootman
09-17-2024, 11:01 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 510
WindowsPE - load necessar...
Last Post: Nierewa
09-16-2024, 10:41 AM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 8,878
"shim_lock protocol not f...
Last Post: AzJazz
09-13-2024, 08:19 PM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 168
iventoy安装debian12.6花屏
Forum: iVentoy Discussion Forum
Last Post: Tazimi
09-13-2024, 07:16 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 131
Installing SSL Certificat...
Forum: iVentoy Discussion Forum
Last Post: pleasehelp
09-10-2024, 11:49 PM
» Views: 154
Ventoy enroll key manager...
Last Post: asheroto
09-10-2024, 10:46 PM
» Replies: 17
» Views: 6,363
ventoy可以引导我的系统,如何设置开机默认启动...
Last Post: sevk
09-10-2024, 07:52 AM
» Views: 165
Something has gone seriou...
Last Post: bigcid10
09-09-2024, 01:33 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 2,272

Wink Dynamic search iso file from auto listed iso's
Posted by: praveenvinci - 07-20-2020, 12:15 PM - Forum: Ventoy Plugin Forum - Replies (2)

how to add Search Option to the auto loaded iso list when we have long list of iso file in hardisks....

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Print this item

为什么我的json不生效。。。
Posted by: dong86888 - 07-20-2020, 07:56 AM - Forum: Ventoy Discussion Forum - Replies (1)

头大  Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Print this item

No luck booting Tails 4.6, neither on Legacy nor on UEFI
Posted by: Isetter - 07-20-2020, 01:15 AM - Forum: Ventoy Discussion Forum - Replies (1)

I have installed Ventoy version 1.0.15 and have enabled the Secure Boot and can boot ISOs from both Legacy and UEFI correctly. I use an HP Spectre x360.

When I try to boot either Tails 4.6 on UEFI, I get nowhere (as announced in the ISO list).

But when I try to boot from Legacy, I get to the second Syslinux boot menu, and can select "Tails". Only to find an error message that mentions "no supported file system on /Live/medium" (see picture 1).

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Should the boot work as is?

Thanks for your help!

Print this item

A discovery of how to boot PUPPY distros
Posted by: GCMartin - 07-18-2020, 11:22 PM - Forum: Ventoy Discussion Forum - No Replies

Ventoy, as marvelous as it is, has some shortcomings that its developers are addressing.

This is a work-around that I discovered that may be useful as Ventoy matures.

SuperGrub2 (SG2D) is a boot-manager in the form of a distro which does similar booting of ISOS. It is found on Distrowatch as well as is present on GIT where its developer is responsive to requests. Click the image that follows.

It has a GRUB2 loopback.cfg requirement of ALL the ISOs it supports, One of them is Ubuntu. Others are scattered in the LInux landscape. This year, all 2020 PUPs that are generated from the Puppy Linux WOOFCE distro builder has been generating PUPs that are compliant with booting their ISOs via SG2D, as well.

So, I've discovered a fascinating ability that works within the Ventoy framework for Secure Boot enabled. If the EFI version of SG2D is added to the ISOs for Ventoy, SG2D can be started and it will list EVERY compliant ISO contained in a BOOTISOS (or boot-isos) folder anywhere on any USB/SSD/HDD/SDcards that the PCs has and list them for user selection to boot. I have tested this workaround for all PUPs ISOs generated this year as well as Ubuntu derivatives ISOs. On my PC I have over 40 ISOs that are compliant in the HDD's "boot-isos" folder and SG2D found them as well as the one in the boot-isos folder of Ventoy. 

Its a nice addition to working with VENTOY. BUT REMEMBER, SG2D will ONLY list compliant ISOs that have a loopback.cfg for booting.

Hope this is mere helpful info for others that would benefit in running non-secure boot ISOs on a PC with Secure Boot enabled.

FYI

Print this item

Mixed results with FATDOG Linux ISO on HP AIO
Posted by: GCMartin - 07-18-2020, 06:42 PM - Forum: Ventoy Discussion Forum - No Replies

I have tested the following:

• Software: FATDOG
  • ISO: Fatdog64-810.iso
  • File size: 444MB
  • Download: https://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/iso/
  • Boot:
    - Ventoy v1.0.15 on USB 2.0 8GB stick created with options "-s" & MSDOS
  • Platforms tested:
    - HP AIO Touch (G020,8GB RAM)
  •       - 1st tests - UEFI Secure Boot disabled
  •       - 2nd tests - UEFI Secure Boot enabled
I had issues with each set of test.     

Most notably is that NONE of my 2nd testing resulted in success UNTIL I changed 1st Ventoy USB partition from ExFAT to EXT2, reloaded the ISOs and, now, FATDOG registers and boots. This was NOT an issue with the ISO file's checksum as it remains the same on either of the filesystems used.

(Updates to this post will follow)

Print this item

Ventoy And Medicat.img
Posted by: haiphong - 07-17-2020, 11:01 AM - Forum: Ventoy Discussion Forum - Replies (3)

Hello All,

Does Ventoy support Medicat.img

Thanks for a Reply.

Print this item

Ventoy Persistence has become discouraging. What have I done wrong.?
Posted by: Resistor - 07-16-2020, 10:25 PM - Forum: Ventoy Discussion Forum - Replies (11)

If I fail to properly format this post, it can also be seen on Linux Mint forums:
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p...6&t=325131

I think I went astray following someone's mistakes on another website. I deleted that link.
Now, I am at a loss after playing with this off and on, for about 2 weeks.

Ventoy Installs and Boots fine, whether the Partition Table is msdos or GPT.
I finally found the -g option and it is now on a GPT Partition Table, Formatted as ext4.

I am at a loss after trying different things, including reinstalling a couple of times.

No Persistence option in the menu.
No Persistence in settings on re-boot.

Ventoy_File_Structure_2020-07-12
[Image: h5jvHic.png]

Ventoy_Partition_Format_2020-07-12: Previous
[Image: Y4TelRl.png?1]

Mount Difference: Current
Code: Select all

Code:
VTOYEFI mounted as fat16 on /dev/sdb2 /media/gt/VTOYEFI
ventoy  mounted as ext4 on /dev/sdb1 /mnt/gt/ventoy

Current Content in: ventoy.json
Code:
# ventoy.json

{
    "persistence": [
        {
            "image": "/linuxmint-20-cinnamon-64bit.iso",
            "backend": "/persistence.img"
        },

{
            "image": "/lmde-4-cinnamon-64bit.iso",
            "backend": "/persistence.img",
            "autosel": 1           
        }
    ]
}

Previous Content ventoy.json
Code:
# ventoy.json
{
    "persistence": [
        {
            "image": "/ISO/linuxmint-20-cinnamon-64bit.iso",
            "backend": "/persistence/linuxmint-20-cinnamon-64bit.img"
        },

{
            "image": "/linuxmint-20-cinnamon-64bit.iso",
            "backend": "/persistence/linuxmint_20.img",
            "autosel": 1           
        }
    ]
}

Print this item

Persistence
Posted by: VentoyMic - 07-16-2020, 04:37 PM - Forum: Ventoy Discussion Forum - Replies (2)

Thank you for this great tool! Everything works fine  - except peristence.
I've got persistence for these distribution
UBUNTU 20.04
KDE neon 20200702

Using the same setup-principles persistence fails (F5-test reports SUCCESS / OK for all) for
kUBUNTU 20.04
MANJARO 2003

My question: Is there any chance to find out in advance, if a distribution should work with persistence using ventoy?
Would it be possible, to add a column "Persistence" to the ISO-list, with label (e.g. "casper-rw" OR "MX-Persist") if working or "NO" if persistence not possible?

Print this item

Main webpage has some typo errors and grammar needs.
Posted by: GCMartin - 07-15-2020, 09:36 PM - Forum: Ventoy Discussion Forum - Replies (1)

I would like to volunteer to assist in resolving some errors seen to improve understanding of Ventoy to its readers.

Who/whom do I address them? Or have the moderator send me a PM.

Print this item

New User - I am a starting Dummy, with using powerful Ventoy
Posted by: GCMartin - 07-15-2020, 09:33 PM - Forum: Ventoy Discussion Forum - Replies (4)

This utility has an Extremely attractive usefulness where I can boot this Boot Manager which presents ISOs it finds to user for selection. I have many questions for which the website is not geared for my ability to find answers.

So let me start by asking 3

1. Question #1: Does it matter if I use the Windows version created by Rufus or the Linux version to make the bootable USB?
  2. I currently have created a folder on the 1st partition named "boot-isos" and placed my preferred ISOs within the folder for selection. This works as at boot time, I see the ISOs Ventoy found withing the "boot-isos" folder. Question #2: If I want to move this folder to my main system HDD, what must be done so that Ventoy will find the ISOs there?
  3. One of my PCs is a modern 2016 vintage all in one PC. In its UEFI, Secure Boot is disabled. At boot-time, via the PC's boot device selector, I can boot the USB via the UEFI section or the Legacy section. But, for several of the ISOs, selecting and booting them gives VERY different results. Question #3: Is this something to do with Ventoy being booted from UEFI/Legacy OR is this something to do with the ISO itself?
These question may have been already addressed, but I am new and guidance is requested, please.

Print this item