Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ventoy version upgrade in MEDICAT
How can I upgrade Ventoy version in MEDICAT ?
You can use the MEDICAT Oct2020 release which already has v1.0.22 already installed.
FroggieTheGremlin Wrote:You can use the MEDICAT Oct2020 release which already has v1.0.22 already installed.
Thank you for your response. Indeed, MEDICAT is coming out in version 20.10. But I would like to know if it is possible to upgrade the Ventoy version without having to recreate a USB key with a new version of MEDICAT.
From viewing Medicat's screen shots, it looks like a "standard" VENTOY installation.  I would copy your "master" Medicat USB and try a standard VENTOY upgrade on the copy, if it's offered.  If the developer has all his software on Partition #1, the upgrade should go smoothly since all his visual customization will be located at the ROOT of his DATA partition (Part#1) which does not get affected during an upgrade.

Be forewarned... this is just a guess on my part since I have no plans to download a 25gB USB installation like Medicat... I find Sergei Strelec's implementation more than enough for my use  Shy
(10-11-2020, 01:42 PM)FroggieTheGremlin Wrote: From viewing Medicat's screen shots, it looks like a "standard" VENTOY installation.  I would copy your "master" Medicat USB and try a standard VENTOY upgrade on the copy, if it's offered.  If the developer has all his software on Partition #1, the upgrade should go smoothly since all his visual customization will be located at the ROOT of his DATA partition (Part#1) which does not get affected during an upgrade.

Be forewarned... this is just a guess on my part since I have no plans to download a 25gB USB installation like Medicat... I find Sergei Strelec's implementation more than enough for my use  Shy
Thank you for taking the time to answer me.
MEDICAT partitions are not recognized by Ventoy2Disk.exe as "Ventoy" partitions.
The "update" option is therefore not available. the only possible action is "Install". but clicking on "Install" would destroy the structure of MEDICAT.
As far as Sergei Strelec's ISO is concerned, I find it excellent and I added it on my MEDICAT USB key. In this case, you have to copy the SSTR folder to the root of the MEDICAT partition.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Medicat does provide an update file for ISO partition and Ventoy partition; all you have to do is to extract the file and replace the old files in the respectives partitions.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/medicat-usb-...ir.361577/

check "UPDATE ONLY" on the bottom of the first post.
(10-11-2020, 09:05 PM)senchi Wrote: Medicat does provide an update file for ISO partition and Ventoy partition; all you have to do is to extract the file and replace the old files in the respectives partitions.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/medicat-usb-...ir.361577/

check "UPDATE ONLY" on the bottom of the first post.
Thank you
How can I upgrade MEDICAT 20.10 (which is under Ventoy 1.022) with Ventoy 1.0.24.
Even if MEDICAT uses Ventoy, the partitions are not detected by Ventoy2Disk and there is no way to update MEDICAT with Ventoy2Disk.
THank you.
I propose a method that I have just applied and that works well.
It is a method intended to upgrade "ventoy" on a MEDICAT usb key created according to the recommendations of JAYRO (with PassMark ImageUSB 1.5 Build 1003).
To update Ventoy in MEDICAT, under Windows 10 :

1/ Download the latest version of Ventoy "ventoy-1.0.25-windows.zip" at: https://www.ventoy.net/en/download.html
2/ Decompact the archive. You get a folder containing 3 folders "boot", "plugin", "ventoy" and the "ventoy2disk" file.
3/ Go to the "ventoy" folder
4/ Decompress the file "ventoy.disk.img.xz" with Winrar (or other). you get a file "ventoy.disk.img".
5/ Extract the contents of the file ""ventoy.disk.img"" with 7-Zip or WinZip. You get a folder "ventoy.disk".
6/ With a file comparison application (filesync, Syncovery...), compare the contents of the "ventoy.disk" folder with the contents of the "VTOYEFI" partition of MEDICAT. Make a binary comparison that compares the contents of the files and not the creation dates. Only some files differ.
7/ Update the files in the "VTOYEFI" partition with the files different from "ventoy.disk".
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

To check if the update has been done :
1/ Launch RMPrepUSB (or MobiliveCD or other virtualization program).
2/ Check that the main MEDICAT partition is detected.
3/ Click on the button on the right "Test using QEMU Emulator (F11)".
- 1st window: OK.
- 2nd window: NO
- 3rd window: OK
4/ MEDICAT is launched.
5/ Check the Ventoy version in the top left corner.