Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 11,305
» Latest member: arsechi@gmail.com
» Forum threads: 1,520
» Forum posts: 6,290

Full Statistics

Online Users
There are currently 132 online users.
» 0 Member(s) | 129 Guest(s)
Bing, Facebook, Google

Latest Threads
Image is torn into lines ...
Forum: iVentoy Discussion Forum
Last Post: sklerder
6 hours ago
» Replies: 5
» Views: 430
Optimal Сasual Dating - R...
Forum: Ventoy Discussion Forum
Last Post: fasho
Yesterday, 03:26 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 54
Huge delay connecting ven...
Last Post: Master_X
04-18-2024, 08:15 PM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 143
My manager has restricted...
Last Post: Steve2926
04-18-2024, 08:52 AM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 839
Windows 10 Installation i...
Last Post: TadesaeN
04-17-2024, 10:13 AM
» Replies: 16
» Views: 34,770
httpdisk.sys service erro...
Last Post: cleao
04-17-2024, 09:11 AM
» Views: 90
Trouble installing Window...
Last Post: sklerder
04-15-2024, 10:42 PM
» Replies: 12
» Views: 773
Build Windows 11+Office21
Last Post: SPRINKILL
04-15-2024, 03:13 PM
» Views: 114
Adding custom grub entrie...
Last Post: nguyen ha thai trong
04-12-2024, 08:51 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 250
iVentoy-1.0.20 release
Last Post: petergu0326
04-12-2024, 07:02 AM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 532

Read-only Persistence?
Posted by: HereIAmNow - 11-13-2020, 01:56 PM - Forum: Ventoy Discussion Forum - Replies (6)

Please read the whole post because I approach this from several angles:

I'm trying to figure out how to do something and I have a few related questions.  I want to be able to make a live Linux that will persist, but then I can set it to use the persistence file as read-only, so that it will still keep all the changes that I've made to that point, but not make any new ones, so I can save on wear and tear for my USB stick, and lock in the settings that I want.

First of all, when exactly does Ventoy update its persistence file - during shutdown or at any arbitrary time?  So if I yank the USB drive before shutting down then will that prevent it from writing?

But more importantly, how can I make the file read-only, so that once I have it all set up the way that I want it, I can prevent further changes, and also save on wear and tear for my USB stick?  Is there some line I can put into the .json file to just prevent it from writing anything to the drive?

I've tried disabling persistence in the .json file but that seems to ignore the file completely, thus reverting everything to defaults, but I need to be able to read and use the customizations that I've made.  And I've also tried making the persistence file itself read-only (I disabled all write capabilities for all users), but it still somehow keeps updating, without even changing the date modified information!

Alternatively, is there a way that I can take all of the data in the persistence file and just put that into the ISO itself, to update it and build a new ISO or modify the existing one, so that I can just boot from that and turn off persistence?

And if none of this stuff is possible then PLEASE consider making an update for a new .json parameter to make persistence read-only!  It should be very easy to implement - just use whatever function is for writing to the drive and make it conditional.  I even tried looking into the source code myself but there are so many files and folders that I can't figure out how to fix it, much less how to even compile it so that I can redeploy it onto a USB stick (I'm new to Linux, btw).

Print this item

Is this a bug in LInux upgrade to v1.0.27
Posted by: GCMartin - 11-11-2020, 03:59 AM - Forum: Ventoy Discussion Forum - Replies (2)

Is this a bug in LInux upgrade to v1.0.27?

The USB is an 8GB USB V2.0 unit with its ISOs in partititon #1 and Ventoy on partition #2. Mount command message suggest a bug???

Code:
root# ./Ventoy2Disk.sh -u /dev/sde
      Ventoy: 1.0.27
      longpanda admin@ventoy.net
      https://www.ventoy.net
Upgrade operation is safe, all the data in the 1st partition (iso files and other) will be unchanged!

Update Ventoy  1.0.20 ===> 1.0.27   Continue? (y/n)y
mount-FULL: /initrd/mnt/dev_save/boot-isos/Ventoy/ventoy-1.0.27-linux/tmp_mnt: special device /dev/sde2 does not exist.

Update Ventoy to /dev/sde successfully finished.
root#

ALSO
For the use of the "upgrade" ventoy command, is there documentation on its use? It is a "blind" command with NO evidence of whether the prior created ventoy commands was used on the upgrade. How is a user to know if the UEFI feature continues on the USB unit?

Any documentation on proper use of upgrade would be useful in understanding its outcome. The command (CMD) option is present in help, but NOTHING exist of its proper use when past multiple ventoy options were used to originally create the Ventoy USB unit.

Further, if the unit was created months ago and any user cannot remember what options was used, is Ventoy capable of knowing what those options were and preserve them as it upgrades the Ventoy USB unit?

Thanks in advance for any help

Print this item

Ventoy ISO - An idea for LongPanda
Posted by: GCMartin - 11-08-2020, 03:22 PM - Forum: Ventoy Discussion Forum - Replies (2)

The Ventoy ISO is created with one specific mission: Create/Update a Ventoy USB. It offers no other services. They work, although, it does need improvements that would be provided by ANY modern Window manager. In fact, excepting for the most die-hearts, EVERYONE understands use of a desktop window manager from Windows users, to noobs, to die-hearts...everyone. And EVERY window manager offers some basic services such as logout, reboot, shutdown, etc.

Having tested and used the Ventoy ISO I wonder if its author will consider a couple suggestions or ideas that would improve, at a glance, use that would work with everyone, yet yield the very things the authors wants a user to meet for USB creation:

1. An example of one idea is for the Ventoy ISO author to review the RescueZilla ISO. Like Ventoy, it, too, is purpose-built and it offers much/most in its user interface that would meet what the Ventoy ISO author would want for Ventoy users. (THIS IS NOT a request to use Rescuezilla, merely it offers an example of a "user look" for Ventoy's ISO) There are many other ISO examples which are purpose-built that might be favorable to creates support screens which would be similar to what is used in Ventoy's Microsoft UI.
  2. Another purpose-built example is the GParted ISO (there are several other purpose-built example ISOs on the internet)
  3. Another idea is a Linux window manager that has a built-in means for the kind of screen UI that would match the UI used by Ventoy under Microsoft's desktop. These window managers, all, possess the capability for shutdown/restart that Ventoy would not need to bother itself with.
Again, these are ideas that would exceed what is current in Ventoy's ISO. As it stands today, NONE Of the 3 means (Windows app, Linux app, or Ventoy ISO) for Ventoy building of its USBs match in either appearance or implementation. If users saw the same thing across all products, Ventoy builders would have less work while user use would benefit, as well.

The ideas presented here is offered as ideas to provide a consistent interface across all of the Ventoy build methods, where possible.

FYI

Print this item

Exclamation Never works ¬¬
Posted by: LykO - 11-07-2020, 10:52 PM - Forum: Ventoy Discussion Forum - No Replies

Window$ 7 and 10
https://thepiratebay.org/search.php?q=user:generation2

Slax
https://www.slax.org/

With / Without
Secure Boot Support
Partition Style - MBR
Partition Style - GPT

Both usually work on Yumi and WinSetupFromUSB.

https://i.imgur.com/R1zPoYb.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/5GROr7P.jpg

Dodgy

Print this item

Does not start Windows PE Gandalf Redstone 5
Posted by: David - 11-07-2020, 12:08 PM - Forum: Ventoy Discussion Forum - Replies (11)

Translated By Bing...

Hello.
I can't start Windows PE Gandalf Redstone 5.
On my USB Ventoy I have 3 ISO:
Windows 10.
Windows PE Sergei Strelec.
Windows PE Gandalf Redstone 5.

Windows 10 and Windows PE Sergei Strelec start correctly, but with Windows PE Gandalf Redstone 5 I get black screen with error message:

Windows has encountered a problem communicating wi th a device connected to your computer.

This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external uSB drive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as is failing. Make sure any removable storage is properly a hard drive or CD-ROM drive that connected and then restart your computer.

If you continue to receive thi s error message, contact the hardware manufacturer.

Status: Oxc00000e9 Info: An unexpected I/O error has occurred.

Print this item

Label Ventoy partition from command line
Posted by: Rafael - 11-05-2020, 01:20 PM - Forum: Ventoy Discussion Forum - Replies (4)

As no GUI for Linux, I need to use Ventoy from console, but I don't find any parameter to assign "Ventoy" partition a more convenient name, that's to say, I want to put an arbitrary label to extfat partition where ISO's will be.

Is there any way?

Tnak you

Print this item

Siduction-nox go into a loop
Posted by: gorzka - 11-04-2020, 06:59 PM - Forum: Ventoy Discussion Forum - No Replies

Tried with latest Ventoy ventoy-1.0.27

Download from here

Print this item

Use Files (TXT, PDF ...) from the stick
Posted by: VentoyMic - 11-04-2020, 07:33 AM - Forum: Ventoy Discussion Forum - Replies (2)

Hello,
on my USB-stick I have several LINUX-Systems for tests and can easily boot each.
Now I want to add some files (PDF-Instructions or TXT-Results, which may be updated in subsequent sessions) on that stick, so that I can access it from each running LINUX.
How can a achieve this?
Thanks, Michael

Print this item

Search and boot Windows as default timeout image?
Posted by: Algernon - 11-03-2020, 05:28 AM - Forum: Ventoy Plugin Forum - Replies (6)

"control": [
        { "VTOY_DEFAULT_MENU_MODE": "1" },
        { "VTOY_TREE_VIEW_MENU_STYLE": "1" },
        { "VTOY_FILT_DOT_UNDERSCORE_FILE": "1" },
        { "VTOY_MENU_TIMEOUT": "8" },
        { "VTOY_DEFAULT_IMAGE": "VTOY_EXIT" }
    ],

This is my current control from my ventoy.json with 1.0.27 not sure if it is correct. It exits after 8 seconds but I am being put into my boot options menu and stopped there instead of booting into windows directly. Is there currently any method or trick to boot directly into windows by default or could this possibly be included in a future update? My use case is that I have small usb I often keep in the laptop all the time for extra space aswell, so it would be very useful for me to reboot in a fully automated way. 

Once again thanks for your work and your many additions to the project over the last several updates.

Print this item

Different layout between main menu and submenus
Posted by: momosala - 11-02-2020, 07:38 PM - Forum: Ventoy Plugin Forum - Replies (1)

Hello,
Is it possible to have a different layout of the Main Menu (with the list of folders) and sub-folders.
For example, change the background page or the spacing between lines or the font size ...?
If so, where should the changes be made ?

Print this item