Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 11,777
» Latest member: Resmyru
» Forum threads: 1,567
» Forum posts: 6,450

Full Statistics

Online Users
There are currently 124 online users.
» 0 Member(s) | 121 Guest(s)
Applebot, Bing, Google

Latest Threads
Ventoy enroll key manager...
Forum: Ventoy Discussion Forum
Last Post: nicgatsys
Yesterday, 04:11 AM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 1,394
Run as a service in Windo...
Forum: iVentoy Discussion Forum
Last Post: brunok
07-25-2024, 04:05 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 646
screen garble problem whe...
Last Post: brian-LOT
07-25-2024, 01:23 PM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 264
Casper-rw dont work for M...
Forum: Ventoy Plugin Forum
Last Post: nguyen ha thai trong
07-24-2024, 02:41 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 52
CentOS Linux 7 End of Lif...
Last Post: AlexBryansk
07-20-2024, 10:24 PM
» Views: 216
Ventoy With MX-Linux USB ...
Last Post: PaulJayD
07-18-2024, 08:48 PM
» Views: 172
Ventoy (or not?) problems
Last Post: Stranger
07-17-2024, 09:56 AM
» Views: 225
Windows & UEFI Boot Issue
Last Post: jjyoo0308
07-16-2024, 12:32 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 7,260
iVentoy ExternalNet doesn...
Last Post: brunok
07-15-2024, 09:31 PM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 465
VTOY_DEFAULT_SEARCH_ROOT ...
Last Post: nguyen ha thai trong
07-15-2024, 01:38 PM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 397

Ubuntu 20.04 server autoinstallation HowTo
Posted by: gbl - 03-02-2021, 01:46 PM - Forum: Ventoy Discussion Forum - Replies (5)

Ventoy has a plugin to work with the debian autoinstaller. Unfortunately, Ubuntu 20 comes with a new auto install method (cloud-init), which works differently. At first, I wasn't able to get it to work with Ventoy, so I made an account to ask for help; in the time it took the account to get activated, I solved the problem however. So here's how to do it in case anyone else has the same problem.

A working auto installer needs two files, one `meta-data` and one `user-data`. These need to be on a partition that has `cidata` as the partition label.

These files can not be put into the same partition that has the iso files, because that partition is locked while the booted software is running.

So, to get it to work:

• When running Ventoy for the first time to install it on the USB drive, leave some space for a 3rd partition. On linux, that's `-r 16` to leave 16 MB at the end of the medium.
    Code:
    ventoy-1.0.36/Ventoy2Disk.sh -I /dev/sdX -r 16
  • Create a new partition on the medium
    Code:
    fdisk /dev/sdX
    n (new)
    p (partition)
    3 (partition number)
    press return twice to confirm the sector numbers
    t (type)
    3 (partition number)
    7 (vfat partition type)
    w
  • format it to vfat, and name it `cidata`.

Code:
    mkfs.vfat -n cidata /dev/sdX3
  • copy the ubuntu installer iso to the first partition, and your user-data and meta-data to the third partition
More information about user-data is at https://ubuntu.com/server/docs/install/autoinstall. meta-data can be left empty unless you know what you're doing and want to have some version control for different configs.

Print this item

Ventoy integration
Posted by: Electroguard - 03-02-2021, 01:07 PM - Forum: Ventoy Discussion Forum - No Replies

Hi,
Ventoy is already amazing as it is, and still keeps innovating to get even better.
So I would like to offer some suggestions for innovation in case they may be feasible and welcome… all aimed at helping Ventoy to fit in and integrate more with existing hdd usage, thereby making it even more useful and indispensable.
And at least it can offer some food for thought.

1.  Currently Ventoy can be installed on hdd and preserve some unused space after it, but it could be helpful to have option for allocating a specified amount for Ventoy use, and preserving whatever is remaining.

At the moment Ventoy overwrites the partition table for itself, oblivious to any existing contents, thereby losing bootable access to any remaining existing partitions which may have been deliberately preserved.
So to avoid losing existing partitions and their contents:

2.  Could Ventoy offer an option to detect existing partitions? and if so... 
3.  Could Ventoy have an option to install itself into the first partition to leave the remainder untouched?
4.  Or even better, could Ventoy have an option to select any chosen existing partition to install itself into?

Lastly, with the aim of integrating Ventoy into existing drives:

5.  Could Ventoy 'spoof' a version of windows (or linux) so that it could be recognised by subsequent installers (such as MX) and added to their grub menu? (the resulting menu entry could be changed later, eg: by grub customizer)
(this would allow other OS's to be installed after Ventoy without making Ventoy unbootable)

6.  Instead of always creating a new grub menu, perhaps Ventoy could have an option to add itself as an entry into an existing grub menu file if present?
(this would allow Ventoy to be safely installed AFTER other OS's)

7.  Ideally, could Ventoy offer 'discovery' of existing bootable partitions and add them into its Ventoy menu?
(this last feature would enable Ventoy to be added as a simple boot repair tool allowing non-booting OS's to be made bootable again from the Ventoy menu)

The ability to integrate with existing bootable drives, giving bootable access to all of Ventoy's ISO's as well as any previously installed bootable OS (or multiple OS's), would make Ventoy even more unique and powerful.

Thank you for your amazing creativity,
Robin.

Print this item

Mageia 8 Live Plasma [Tested]
Posted by: dickw - 03-02-2021, 10:30 AM - Forum: Ventoy Discussion Forum - No Replies

I tested (live) Mageia 8 Live Plasma (based Mandriva) with Ventoy-1.0.36.
ISO: Mageia-8-Plasma-Live-x86_64.iso (3.4GB)
Download: download  /  download
Boot: Legacy/MBR, UEFI64 (Secure Boot -> Disabled)
Platform: Lenovo Z51-70 Intel i5-5200U AMD R9 graphic

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Of'coz - new and old distros, infos etc. always on https://distrowatch.com/

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Print this item

WriteFile error ErrCode:87
Posted by: strongbad75 - 02-28-2021, 06:28 PM - Forum: Ventoy Discussion Forum - Replies (8)

Hello All,
I have run several version of Ventoy on many drives with great success!  Love this project.
My brand new drive, OWC Envoy Pro FX (Thunderbot 3/USB-C) fails to work with Ventoy. I have tried many versions and they all fail in the same way.
I have tried 2 different computers, the LiveCD, and a Linux VM, which all fail in the same manner.

I have attached the log file for your assistance.

Thanks.

P.S. Log now added.

Attached Files
.txt   log.txt (Size: 17.03 KB / Downloads: 3)
Print this item

Ventoy 1.0.36 release (Linux GUI)
Posted by: longpanda - 02-27-2021, 02:11 PM - Forum: Ventoy Discussion Forum - Replies (9)

• 2021/02/27 --- 1.0.36 release
  1. Experimental Linux GUI based on web browser. Notes

2. Align the partitions with 4KB by default when install Ventoy. (improvement for performance and Legacy BIOS compatibility)

3. Add a ? icon to identify secure boot option in Ventoy2Disk.exe.

4. Add Show All Devices option in Ventoy2Disk.exe.

5. Ventoy2Disk.exe doesn't check partition active flag anymore.
  6. Optimization for Ventoy2Disk.sh
  7. languages.ini update
  8. Add support for nbd device in Ventoy2Disk.sh (PR #746)

[Image: webui_en.png]

Print this item

如何制作Windows的VHD文件?
Posted by: grassvalley - 02-25-2021, 01:21 AM - Forum: Ventoy Discussion Forum - Replies (5)

Ventoy支持从VHD模式启动Windows,那么,如何制作Windows的VHD文件呢?
特别是,如何制作兼容Ventoy的VHD文件?

能否以Ventoy+WindowsVHD制作的移动硬盘,在不同的电脑上运行Windows10,打造一个私人随身系统呢?

Print this item

unable to boot from disk
Posted by: husky - 02-24-2021, 12:56 PM - Forum: Ventoy Discussion Forum - Replies (6)

Hi!
I recently found that the modem port inside my Lenovo T14 AMD can be used to host an NVMe drive, too, and decided to use it as an emergency drive containing several ISOs and the like in order to rescue anything if necessary - sysrescd, kali, ubuntu, ...

So I got me Ventoy 1.0.35 and unpacked the tar on my Linuxmint OS, fired up a terminal and ran 

Code:
sudo ./Ventoy2disk.sh -i -s -g /dev/nvme1n1

Then I enrolled the necessary key using 

Code:
sudo mokutil --import ENROLL_THIS_KEY_IN_MOKMANAGER.cer

and copied some ISOs to the Ventoy partition. Then I rebooted in order to verify the enrollment. After completing it I rebooted and opened the boot device list. My Linuxmint drive was listed as 'ubuntu' and started up like before, but the Ventoy disk was displayed only with its manufacturer and model. Nevertheless I selected it and tried to boot into ventoy - but to no avail.

Since I ended up with Grub 2.02 command line (and my Linuxmint uses Grub 2.04) I think I was in the correct location.
I tried to load the Grub config, but this only resulted in an error
Code:
error: cannot find command vt_list_img
being displayed and then a strangely looking grub menu came up, telling me that no ISO could be found.

Obviously something is wrong - but I'm a bit lost for now.

Any hint anyone?

Print this item

No problems, all success ..
Posted by: aristo123 - 02-24-2021, 12:52 PM - Forum: Ventoy Discussion Forum - Replies (1)

Usually I only join forums if I run into problems seeking solutions. Once in a blue moon do I do this, which is join a forum to report full and complete success and to say thank you.
All ISO's I care about just worked right away(mixture of mbr, uefi, winpe, linux), something no other utility (except easy2boot which, really, uses ventoy) was able to achieve: multibootusb, Yumi, several others.
But that isn't why I'm posting. I'm posting because Ventoy is *elegant* and beautifully designed; in it's most basic form it's perfect for the most non-technical user, just put an ISO onto the visible drive, and it just works, nothing to run/execute! But then I looked at the "plugins" and they solved EVERY one of my "what if I have this more complex scenario?" needs: custom titles, order, theme, file overrides, uefi/mbr sensitization, on and on, all so easy to configure via json.

I have seen applications like Ventoy before and they all share one thing in common: their creator was a craftsman, loved his craft, and thus created beautiful things.
So: thank you Mr. Ventoy for an excellent utility !

Report of success with an ISO that isn't mentioned on the Ventoy compatibility list:
Macrium Rescue CD (linux version)

Print this item

关于插件同时用时,衔接的问题???谁能告诉我!
Posted by: nailoon - 02-24-2021, 04:10 AM - Forum: Ventoy Plugin Forum - Replies (1)

谁能告诉我关于插件命令两个插件的命令行一起用 Huh 比如说用全局的控制插件再用主题插件的话 只能启动一个 怎么办呢???

Print this item

Ventoy theme and menu class customization
Posted by: aboamir@gmail.com - 02-22-2021, 10:47 AM - Forum: Ventoy Plugin Forum - No Replies

Ventoy theme and menu class customization

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6wfVdNkHU4&t=61s

Print this item