Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows 7 ISO
I have a Win7 ISO (with USB3 and NVME drivers) which works flawlessly with Rufus, but I don't manage to get it running with Ventoy, receiving this error message:

No bootfile found for UEFI. Maybe the imagefile does not support UEFI.

I've tried MBR and GPT, without success, and have put ventoy_vhdboot in a ventoy folder in the ventoy (not efi) partition.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
(08-13-2021, 01:42 PM)pantau Wrote: I have a Win7 ISO (with USB3 and NVME drivers) which works flawlessly with Rufus, but I don't manage to get it running with Ventoy, receiving this error message:

I've tried MBR and GPT, without success, and have put ventoy_vhdboot in a ventoy folder in the ventoy (not efi) partition.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
https://github.com/ventoy/Ventoy/issues/313
(08-13-2021, 01:42 PM)pantau Wrote: I have a Win7 ISO (with USB3 and NVME drivers) which works flawlessly with Rufus, but I don't manage to get it running with Ventoy, receiving this error message:

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Ventoy and Rufus has different mechanism.
For Ventoy, if the ISO file can NOT boot as a cdrom in UEFI mode, then Ventoy can not boot it in UEFI mode too.

It's very simple to check whether the ISO file support UEFI mode when boot from cdrom.
Create a VM(e.g. VMWare/VirtualBox) and set the VM to UEFI mode, then connect the ISO file directly to the VM and boot and check.
I checked with VBox, it doesn't boot when I check "enable EFI".

I also checked the file structure of the ISO, there is a bootmgr.efi file and a efi folder on it.

Is there any way to make this ISO UEFI-bootable so it works for Ventoy? Or maybe to rewrite the Rufus-USB into a UEFI-bootable ISO?
OK. So this ISO must not be a standard Windows ISO. Because all standard Windows ISO file can boot as a cdrom.
So I think there should be some options or settings for the tools to create the ISO file.
(08-14-2021, 09:57 AM)longpanda Wrote: OK. So this ISO must not be a standard Windows ISO. Because all standard Windows ISO file can boot as a cdrom.
So I think there should be some options or settings for the tools to create the ISO file.

This ISO was assembled from the standard Windows ISO through DISM to include NVME and USB3 drivers. However, I can't go back to this process as it was quite laborious (I did it a couple of years ago).

So there I guess there is no chance to make it "somehow" bootable or burn a new ISO from the Rufus USB-stick?
Maybe can try Wimboot mode? https://www.ventoy.net/en/doc_wimboot.html
(08-14-2021, 08:06 AM)pantau Wrote: I checked with VBox, it doesn't boot when I check "enable EFI".

I also checked the file structure of the ISO, there is a bootmgr.efi file and a efi folder on it.

Is there any way to make this ISO UEFI-bootable so it works for Ventoy? Or maybe to rewrite the Rufus-USB into a UEFI-bootable ISO?

Is the bootx64.efi file present in the efi\boot folder?
(08-15-2021, 06:13 AM)Van Flusen Wrote:
(08-14-2021, 08:06 AM)pantau Wrote: I checked with VBox, it doesn't boot when I check "enable EFI".

It is not... There isn't even a efi\boot folder, but a W:\efi\microsoft\boot folder with a file named cdboot.efi

(08-15-2021, 01:06 AM)longpanda Wrote: Maybe can try Wimboot mode? https://www.ventoy.net/en/doc_wimboot.html

Thanks, I'll still have to try this.
(08-15-2021, 08:19 AM)pantau Wrote:
(08-15-2021, 06:13 AM)Van Flusen Wrote:

It is not... There isn't even a efi\boot folder, but a W:\efi\microsoft\boot folder with a file named cdboot.efi

(08-15-2021, 01:06 AM)longpanda Wrote: Maybe can try Wimboot mode? https://www.ventoy.net/en/doc_wimboot.html

Thanks, I'll still have to try this.

Try it:
the file bootmgfw.efi can be extracted from a x64 Windows 7 DVD: It is located in the 2.7 GB archive Install.wim in the subdirectory \sources. The archive can be opened with the free 7-Zip packing program, for example. The file you are looking for is then located in subdirectory "1" of the archive, under \sources\install.wim\1\Windows\Boot\EFI\.
Create the folder boot in the folder efi and copy the bootmgfw.efi into this folder. rename bootmgfw.efi to bootx64.efi.