Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED] persistence difficulty
welcome to the thread dd . we both have persistence problems so makes sense to have one thread, and in my case i tried everything ,so in my case its more blood, sweat and tears !

same partition /deb/sdb1. Is this right? no shouldn't it be /dev/sdb1 ?

all the iso, .json should be in the first partition which is the only one visible when its mounted like a normal usb.

As far as i understand you don't need the other .json code unless you put all iso's say into
a sub dir within ventoy
Hi, All,

Thanks for creating this great product! 

Unfortunately, I'm having the same issue.

I used CreatePersistentImage.sh to create the img file.  My folder structure on the USB is:

Code:
cinnamon-remix@cinnamon-remix:/media/cinnamon-remix/ventoy$ ls -lR
.:
total 640
-rwxr-xr-x 1 cinnamon-remix cinnamon-remix  1440 jul  9  2020 CreatePersistentImg.sh
drwxr-xr-x 2 cinnamon-remix cinnamon-remix 131072 jul 10  2020 iso
drwxr-xr-x 2 cinnamon-remix cinnamon-remix 131072 jul 10  2020 persistence
drwxr-xr-x 2 cinnamon-remix cinnamon-remix 131072 jul 10  2020 ventoy
-rwxr-xr-x 1 cinnamon-remix cinnamon-remix    161 jun 11 13:46 ventoy.json

./iso:
total 1980544
-rwxr-xr-x 1 cinnamon-remix cinnamon-remix 2028060672 jul 22  2020 lmde-4-cinnamon-64bit.iso

./persistence:
total 1048576
-rwxr-xr-x 1 cinnamon-remix cinnamon-remix 1073741824 jul 10  2020 persistence.img

./ventoy:
total 128
-rwxr-xr-x 1 cinnamon-remix cinnamon-remix 161 jul 10  2020 ventoy.json

contents of my ventoy.json file:

Code:
{
    "persistence" : [
        {
            "image": "/iso/lmde-4-cinnamon-64bit.iso",
            "backend": "/persistence/persistence.img"
        }
    ]
}

What other info can I give you?

TIA!
Hello friends. I decided to try persistent mode today and managed to make it work. The problem? In the documentation there is a blank space between "persistence" and : which should not exist. Here is my current ventoy.json:
Code:
{
    "control": [
        { "VTOY_DEFAULT_MENU_MODE": "1" },
        { "VTOY_FILT_DOT_UNDERSCORE_FILE": "1" },
        { "VTOY_DEFAULT_SEARCH_ROOT": "/ISOs" }
    ],

"persistence": [
        {
            "image": "/ISOs/linuxmint-19.3-cinnamon-64bit.iso",
            "backend": [
                        "/ISOs/Persistence/mintsparse.img",
                        "/ISOs/Persistence/mintfull.img"
                        ]
        },       
        {
            "image": "/ISOs/kali-linux-2020-W24-live-amd64.iso",
                        "/ISOs/Persistence/kalisparse.img",
                        "/ISOs/Persistence/kalifull.img"
                        ]
        }
    ]
}

I recommend that you use a good text editor that uses unix line-ending for greater compatibility. The images I created using the script provided by the Ventoy dev.

@longpanda before using your script to make the images, I tried to use GNOME Disks because it has a GUI. The images it creates are sparse images and unfortunately the command "vt_dump_persistence" returns "FAILED" for these images, that's what you referred to in the doc with "When creating the image file and copy to USB, take care about the buffer. (can use sync to flush the data to the disk)"? Why are sparse images not accepted?
(06-12-2020, 09:13 PM)KaMyKaSii Wrote: Hello friends. I decided to try persistent mode today and managed to make it work. The problem? In the documentation there is a blank space between "persistence" and : which should not exist. Here is my current ventoy.json:
Code:
{
    ],

{
                        ]
        },       
        {
                        ]
        }
    ]
}

I recommend that you use a good text editor that uses unix line-ending for greater compatibility. The images I created using the script provided by the Ventoy dev.

@longpanda before using your script to make the images, I tried to use GNOME Disks because it has a GUI. The images it creates are sparse images and unfortunately the command "vt_dump_persistence" returns "FAILED" for these images, that's what you referred to in the doc with "When creating the image file and copy to USB, take care about the buffer. (can use sync to flush the data to the disk)"? Why are sparse images not accepted?

The dev needs to update their example to correct this as I've been trying to figure out why persistence was not working on the Manjaro KDE iso when I had a file allocated to it.   Thanks for posting this!
(06-13-2020, 02:19 AM)famewolf Wrote:
(06-12-2020, 09:13 PM)KaMyKaSii Wrote: Hello friends. I decided to try persistent mode today and managed to make it work. The problem? In the documentation there is a blank space between "persistence" and : which should not exist. Here is my current ventoy.json:
Code:
{
    ],

{
                        ]
        },       
        {
                        ]
        }
    ]
}

The dev needs to update their example to correct this as I've been trying to figure out why persistence was not working on the Manjaro KDE iso when I had a file allocated to it.   Thanks for posting this!

Hi, All,

Well, I followed the suggestion and fixed the spaces. Here's my ventoy.json file.

Code:
{
        {
            "image":"lmde-4-cinnamon-64bit.iso",
            "backend":"persistence.img"
        }
    ]
}

I tried placing the files (.iso and .img) in different places and finally in the root. Nothing worked.

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA!
(06-14-2020, 04:00 PM)richb01 Wrote:
(06-13-2020, 02:19 AM)famewolf Wrote:
Code:
{
    ],

{
                        ]
        },       
        {
                        ]
        }
    ]
}

Hi, All,

Well, I followed the suggestion and fixed the spaces. Here's my ventoy.json file.

Code:
{
        {
            "image":"lmde-4-cinnamon-64bit.iso",
            "backend":"persistence.img"
        }
    ]
}

I tried placing the files (.iso and .img) in different places and finally in the root. Nothing worked.

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA!
Try to let a blank space after all ":" as you can see on my ventoy.json, like:
Code:
"image": "/ISO/manjaro-kde-20.0.3-200606-linux56.iso",
"backend": "/persistence/manjaro-kde-20.0.3.img"
Please make a try with Ventoy-1.0.13.
And you can use F5 debug to check the ventoy.json if you have problem with persistence.
Thumbs Up 
(06-15-2020, 02:44 AM)longpanda Wrote: Please make a try with Ventoy-1.0.13.
And you can use F5 debug to check the ventoy.json if you have problem with persistence.
I have had a go with release 1.0.13 F5 debug was a great help . I think the reason it wasn't working was because of confusion on directories and what goes where:

this is the directory of a working system of my usb when mounted at : /run/media/andrew/ventoy/
ventoy
├── ISO
│   └── linuxmint-19.3-cinnamon-64bit.iso
├── persistence.img
└── ventoy
    └── ventoy.json

the first thing to note is the confusion between formated partitions with partition one being called "ventoy" and a subfolder also called "ventoy" which hold the ventoy.json . By playing around with directories and using debug i found that ventoy.json is not picked up unless in a directory called "ventoy"  which is in 1st partition. I've installed an arbitary package "medit" shut down and re-booted. Persistence works and medit was still there .

My working ventoy.json:

{

{ "VTOY_DEFAULT_MENU_MODE": "0" },
        { "VTOY_DEFAULT_SEARCH_ROOT": "/ISO" }
    ],

{
           "image": "/ISO/linuxmint-19.3-cinnamon-64bit.iso",
            "backend": "/persistence.img"
        }
    ]

}

[ps how come i have a rating of minus -1 after going to trouble of posting etc ?   can't see how to mark solved ]
(06-15-2020, 11:40 AM)captain-sensible Wrote:
I have had a go with release 1.0.13 F5 debug was a great help . I think the reason it wasn't working was because of confusion on directories and what goes where:

this is the directory of a working system of my usb when mounted at : /run/media/andrew/ventoy/
ventoy
├── ISO
├── persistence.img
└── ventoy
    └── ventoy.json

the first thing to note is the confusion between formated partitions with partition one being called "ventoy" and a subfolder also called "ventoy" which hold the ventoy.json . By playing around with directories and using debug i found that ventoy.json is not picked up unless in a directory called "ventoy"  which is in 1st partition. I've installed an arbitary package "medit" shut down and re-booted. Persistence works and medit was still there .

My working ventoy.json:

{

],

{
        }
    ]

}

[ps how come i have a rating of minus -1 after going to trouble of posting etc ?   can't see how to mark solved ]

So all persistence files have to be in the Root directory?  That's the only difference between what you are showing and what I've got where it's still not working even after upgrading to 1.0.13.  F5 is perfectly satisfied with my json yet none of my changes stick past a reboot.  My persistence files are in a /persistence directory.
(06-18-2020, 02:25 AM)famewolf Wrote:
(06-15-2020, 11:40 AM)captain-sensible Wrote:

ventoy
├── ISO
├── persistence.img
└── ventoy
    └── ventoy.json

My working ventoy.json:

{

],

{
        }
    ]

}

So all persistence files have to be in the Root directory?  That's the only difference between what you are showing and what I've got where it's still not working even after upgrading to 1.0.13.  F5 is perfectly satisfied with my json yet none of my changes stick past a reboot.  My persistence files are in a /persistence directory.

Show your ventoy.json and folder structure