Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
 How to configure external DHCP server correctly?
I run the Docker solution of iVentoy by ziggyds on my Synology NAS and use my OPNsense as external DHCP server. There's a video tutorial on YouTube I used to configure the DHCP server in OPNsense for iVentoy.
Everything looked like it was setup but now when I use my notebook (from 2021 with UEFI bios) and try PXE boot it gets to the point where it says "NBP file downloaded successfully" but then it immediately stops and takes me back to the boot menu. From my research on the internet that's because the DHCP server is not configured correctly.

I checked the logs of the Docker container. There's one line that says "DHCP External client 10.0.0.55 should use loader ipxe.bios.0". So I replaced the value of "Set default bios filename" with "ipxe.bios.0" on my OPNsense's DHCP configuration but the result is still the same.

Can anybody help and tell me what's wrong with my configuration please?
1. Please take a photo about the boot screen and upload here
2. Please upload the full log file here.
(10-13-2023, 03:00 PM)longpanda Wrote: 1. Please take a photo about the boot screen and upload here

[Image: gCx0uH.png]

(10-13-2023, 03:00 PM)longpanda Wrote: 2. Please upload the full log file here.

Here you go: Link

And here's the "network booting" configartion of the DHCP server of my OPNsense (just like in the video in the original post) just in case:
[Image: PIbQRZ.png]
Does the OPNsense  is 10.0.0.2? Did you run iVentoy also on 10.0.0.2?

You can use ExternalNet mode, and then set the bootfile name to iventoy_loader_16000_uefi
(10-14-2023, 07:16 AM)longpanda Wrote: Does the OPNsense  is 10.0.0.2? Did you run iVentoy also on 10.0.0.2?
No, my OPNsense is 10.0.0.1. My NAS with iVentoy running in a Docker container on host network is 10.0.0.2.

(10-14-2023, 07:16 AM)longpanda Wrote: You can use ExternalNet mode, and then set the bootfile name to iventoy_loader_16000_uefi
Thank you, I will try that later when I got time for that.
Okay this kind of works. The initial problem is gone now and I can see the ISO-selection screen. Though it seems like I only get a completely distorted screen when loading any of the ISO files. I tried multiple ISOs like GParted, OPNsense, Windows 10 Setup. Is this normal because the development of iVentoy is still in its early days or can this be fixed with some configuration changes?

My current boot configuration of iVentoy looks like this:

[Image: RPojX8.png]
Take a photo about distorted screen when you select a standard Windows ISO.
(10-14-2023, 02:38 PM)longpanda Wrote: Take a photo about  distorted screen  when you select a standard Windows ISO.
There's not much to see but okay.
Something to note: When it boots into the setup I can see the blue Windows boot logo screen just fine. After that I only get this rubbish.

[Image: LvRo04.jpg]
I updated the BIOS but that didn't help. But I tried PXE boot on my desktop PC and it works fine there. So I assume the problem is not iVentoy but my notebook.