Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
 1st partition"lost"
Hi, for Ventoy I am using a large USB-stick (256GB) with around 30GB in der 1st partition containing the ISO-files, formatted in exFAT, and a very large 3rd partition for stroage/backup purpose in NTFS.
Suddenly the stick does not boot and the 1st partiton is no longer accessible. I did an update of Ventoy. Now the sticks is booting, but the 1st partition is still unaccessible and the menue is (of course) empty. 
Beside the effort of copying all ISO-files and doing all the adjustments a new/re-install of Ventoy would destroy the 3rd partition (as far as I understand) and I would like to avoid making an update of this nearly 200GB ...
So my question: I there any way to only reconstruct/restore the (lost) 1st partition? 
I think you need to use some disk tool to only reformat the 1st partition.
There are many such disk utilities such as DiskGenius.
You probably have a fake USB drive (fake capacity)
Test it with https://www.grc.com/validrive.htm
(10-13-2023, 08:05 AM)Steve2926 Wrote: You probably have a fake USB drive (fake capacity)
Test it with https://www.grc.com/validrive.htm

It´s a quality-stick and it worked for some weeks with all 8 ISOs stored on the 1st partition w/o problems.

(10-13-2023, 03:12 AM)longpanda Wrote: I think you need to use some disk tool to only reformat the 1st partition.
There are many such disk utilities such as DiskGenius.

You are meaning: Only reformatting the 1st partition in exFAT instead of a complete new/re-install of Ventoy (including deleting the 2nd and 3rd partition) to keep the content of the 3rd partition? But reformatting would delete/destroy everything in the ex-1st partition and make a restore impossible.
Is there mo way of restoring?

I don´t know what does Ventoy while installing in regard of the 1st partition: Does it simply creates the 1st partition due to the choice of it´s format so that the 1st partition can simply be recreatet later w/o effect to the working of the stick (with exception of re-copyying the ISOs and persistence- and configuration-files)?
When you refresh install Ventoy you will find that the 1st partition is empty.
You can also reformat the 1st partition from exFAT to NTFS, this will not effect Ventoy boot feature.
You only need to backup and re-copy the ISO files and configuration files in the 1st partition.