Poll: Is Windows 11 weird?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, Windows 11 is weird.
0%
0 0%
No, you're weird and Windows 11 is alright.
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
 Windows 11 setup cannot find disks due to "missing driver" when deploying through PXE
Hi all,

I have an Iventoy server running on 1.0.17 and it is working. I already successfully managed to deploy Windows 11 with and without unattend.xml answer files.

The Problem:
However, on some machines when trying to deploy either Windows 11 21H2 or 22H2, after PXE started the setup, setup claims there is no disk to be found due to a "missing driver".
The hardware to deploy to is an Asus X570 Prime and the SSD is a SATA Samsung Evo 850 1TB drive.

I have tried various options in Bios, such as enabling/disabling CSM compatibility, etc.

The weird part:
Funnily enough: the C: partition (there is an active NTFS partition on the drive with data) is even being shown during setup when you select "browse" to supply a driver for the system, so it clearly DOES see the drive.
Using the console with Shift+F10 during Windows setup I can use diskpart and it shows the drive correctly.

Just Windows setup will not accept this disk to install to and it claims there is no disk in the system.

When I run Windows 11 setup via USB stick, this error does not occur and it will detect the disk and its partitions correctly during setup -- as expected. While some exotic drivers, esp. for Raid, are sometimes to be supplied, I haven't ever had to supply a driver since Windows 10 for simple storage devices.

The question(s):
Has anyone run into a similar issue or did I miss a critical piece of documentation?

I'd be grateful for any pointers as I am stuck on this issue for 2 days straight.

---
My plan for tomorrow is to get an M2 SSD and see if the SATA makes a difference.
Maybe also try to get a newer Bios.

But that's currently all I can think of. :/
Way 1 : check out heyitsdmac's manual here https://forums.ventoy.net/showthread.php?tid=2597
Way 2 : Wait for Longpanda to fix the error and update to the new version
Hey, appreciate the pointer. I wasn't aware this is a known issue.

Edit: I have downgraded iventoy to 1.0.13 and it's working on the same machine, that before was reporting the missing driver error. I might be late to the party and everyone is already aware of it, but in case this helps someone else, I am documenting it here.
(08-08-2023, 06:12 AM)dheller Wrote: Hey, appreciate the pointer. I wasn't aware this is a known issue.

Edit: I have downgraded iventoy to 1.0.13 and it's working on the same machine, that before was reporting the missing driver error. I might be late to the party and everyone is already aware of it, but in case this helps someone else, I am documenting it here.
No  iventoy to 1.0.13 also not working same error