Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
 Feature request: add config file or cmdline args
Hello longpanda! This tool is absolutely amazing. Thank you very much for creating it. It is so useful.

I have a couple of requests if possible:

1) would it be possible add config file or command line argument to specify configuration (for example: default ISO image name, default timeout, MAC allowlist)? Similar to ventoy.json config file. Such as settings are saved between iventoy launches. Right now when I launch iventoy, all the settings are lost. My PXE server restarts often and I want to preserve all settings after reboot server. Also can we start PXE server from command line too without firefox?

2) would it be possible to make PRO version work with >50 servers? I have few racks and I control around 100 servers, 50 is not enough for me

Thank you longpanda for this amazing application!
1. These settings should be saved and recovered when you stop and restart iVentoy. Did you have problem with it?
2. Did you mean you have 50 clients? The machine that run iVentoy is called server, and the machine which boot and install OS from iVentoy is called client.
Pro edition has no limitation on client number. it only limit that you at most run iVentoy on 50 different machines(server).
1) yes when I do sudo bash ventoy.sh stop && sudo bash ventoy.sh start all settings go default. Where is config file that stores settings after sudo bash ventoy.sh stop ?

2) my bad! I actually understand now, for PRO I can have unlimited servers connect to PXE correct?
1. After sudo bash iventoy.sh start, open the browser configure the settings and click the big green start button to start service, then click the red stop button to stop service, then sudo bash iventoy.sh stop, then sudo bash iventoy start.

2. Yes. I update the page right now, you can refer: https://iventoy.com/en/doc_edition.html
The settings will be saved at data\config.dat file.
You can use curl to send command to do anything as in the browser.
Please refer: https://forums.ventoy.net/showthread.php?tid=2496
(07-07-2023, 03:08 AM)longpanda Wrote: The settings will be saved at  data\config.dat  file.
yes thank you! I see that config file created. However, if I select default ISO and timeout, then stop and start iventoy, it doesn't save that. Is that a bug?
Try this:
Do all the settings (for example Select default ISO and timeout) before you click the green start button.
That is to say, change all the settings and finally click the green start button and then click the red stop button.
(07-07-2023, 03:40 AM)longpanda Wrote: Try this:
Do all the settings (for example Select default ISO and timeout) before you click the green start button.
That is to say, change all the settings and finally click the green start button and then click the red stop button.
This worked! thank you! After clicking start/stop in browser, settings saved, and persist after sudo bash ventoy.sh stop && sudo bash ventoy.sh start
Would be great to have config.dat as human-readable, like .json or .ini so we can modify default image and install script from text editor? I want to install iventoy on USB stick on my PXE server. I will have one USB stick for windows, one for Linux, etc. and all have autoinstall scripts. Then I can select what OS rack will deploy by switching USB sticks on the same PXE server of the rack! Will be so cool!
I do agree, a human readable and editable config would be very appreciated!