Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Solved External DHCP not working at all
Hey, I wanted to try out iVentoy on my network, however I want to keep my dhcp server (OpenWRT which uses dnsmasq). I've set the option to external DHCP and turned on the server. The file name and next-server options are set correctly, the client identifies it right (as seen in the screenshot) however iPXE loaded from ventoy tries to pull further files from the gateway and not from the next-server's IP

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

10.0.2.1 is a DHCP server ?
(07-02-2023, 04:17 PM)longpanda Wrote: 10.0.2.1 is a DHCP server ?
10.0.2.1 is DHCP server and also gateway (it's an openwrt router, also running dnsmasq as dhcp server)
(07-02-2023, 03:39 PM)mikusiek12 Wrote: Hey, I wanted to try out iVentoy on my network, however I want to keep my dhcp server (OpenWRT which uses dnsmasq). I've set the option to external DHCP and turned on the server. The file name and next-server options are set correctly, the client identifies it right (as seen in the screenshot) however iPXE loaded from ventoy tries to pull further files from the gateway and not from the next-server's IP

exactly same error here. iventoy 1.0.07
Can you capture some DHCP packets by tcpdump or wireshark?
i guess on the openwrt side everything is fine, iventoy loader does not redirect to http://iventoy_server if external is on, on internal using this setup everything works fine:
client asks openwrt for IP and next_server
gets loader
loader asks iventoy http server for menu file

but on external after ipxe is initiated it fails
(07-02-2023, 03:39 PM)mikusiek12 Wrote: Hey, I wanted to try out iVentoy on my network, however I want to keep my dhcp server (OpenWRT which uses dnsmasq). I've set the option to external DHCP and turned on the server. The file name and next-server options are set correctly, the client identifies it right (as seen in the screenshot) however iPXE loaded from ventoy tries to pull further files from the gateway and not from the next-server's IP

can you post the settings about your iventoy (web gui)?
Hey, attached below are tcpdumps and screenshots of my config, i'm using legacy mode on my old laptop but it's the same story on EFI. In the zip archive are two files one capture from a laptop in the same subnet as the iventoy server, so there is no communication between the laptop and server included (i was capturing from my router) the next file is tcpdump between subnets and there full comunication between the server and the laptop is captured, i'm worried by the illegal tftp operation, however after that some file is downloaded from tftp. The subnets are allow all so no blocked stuff by the router.

.zip   wireshark.zip (Size: 45.26 KB / Downloads: 1)
Hi,

Can also verify this issue with external DHCP. Running v1.0.07. Tried both Ubuntu and Debian as server OS. Tried two different DHCP servers (Ubiquiti UDM Pro and Cisco) and get the same results.

If I set the TFTP Server Timeout(s) to 20, every so often I can get a EFI machine to work, but that is maybe 1 in every 20 boots.

Tried multiple physical and virtual machines, including a bootable iPXE iso (https://github.com/windli2018/virtualbox-efi-netboot)... Have also tried changing the HTTP Server Port Number and associated DHCP Filename option to match.

All the same result, where it won't boot.

edit: tried both legacy bios and efi - same issue on each

.txt   log.txt (Size: 5.87 KB / Downloads: 3)
What about the latest 1.0.08?