Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unable to boot a VHD of medicat with Ventoy 1.77
My system is set for UEFI boot. I made a VHD of medicat (GPT, Ventoy 1.77, NTFS). 
I then created a Ventoy 1.77 USB disk (GPT, NTFS).
I put the medicat.VHD on the Ventoy USB disk, created a /ventoy folder, and put the Windows 10 ventoy_vhdboot.img into the /ventoy folder.
On boot the Ventoy menu appears, but when I select the medicat target I get an error and am unable to boot:
File: \Windows\system32\winload.efi
Info: The application or operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or contains erros.

Note:
- The medicat VHD boots successfully in VirtualBox
- Ventoy (GPT) installed directly onto the USB disk boots fine
- Medicat installed directly onto the USB disk boots fine

I've tried all of the following:
- Partition VHD with MBR
- Partition Ventoy USB with MBR
- Format Ventoy USB as exFat
- Tried the Windows 7 ventoy_vhdboot.img (different failure)
I see the same issue in all cases.
Medicat latest version is Ventoy.
Why don't you just extract all files to your Ventoy USB drive ???
Then you can update the Ventoy version at any time and change for new payloads easily.
(06-27-2022, 09:47 AM)Steve2926 Wrote: Medicat latest version is Ventoy.
Why don't you just extract all files to your Ventoy USB drive ???
Then you can update the Ventoy version at any time and change for new payloads easily.

I'm well aware of that and mentioned as much in my post.
I was trying to replicate something the medicat creator had mentioned:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/medicat-usb-...st-9754367
check for windows version windows 7 and 10 accept just pro and Ent version for VHD
(06-27-2022, 08:29 PM)aboamir@gmail.com Wrote: check for windows version windows 7 and 10 accept just pro and Ent version for VHD

Thanks for the suggestion, it seemed promising, but it didn't work:
- I spun up a Windows 7 Ultimate VM and used it to create & initialize a VHD (GPT, NTFS) & populate with medicat
- I put it on a Ventoy stick (GPT, NTFS)
I got the same boot error as above with both the Win7 & Win10 ventoy_vhdboot.img
Did you re-format Ventoy to have an NTFS partition? Does it help?
https://ventoy.net/en/plugin_vhdboot.html
(06-29-2022, 04:57 AM)Steve2926 Wrote: Did you re-format Ventoy to have an NTFS partition? Does it help?
https://ventoy.net/en/plugin_vhdboot.html

Yes, I tried with NTFS on both Ventoy & the VHD, same result.
(06-26-2022, 06:02 PM)aristo123 Wrote: My system is set for UEFI boot. I made a VHD of medicat (GPT, Ventoy 1.77, NTFS). 
I put the medicat.VHD on the Ventoy USB disk, created a /ventoy folder, and put the Windows 10 ventoy_vhdboot.img into the /ventoy folder.
On boot the Ventoy menu appears, but when I select the medicat target I get an error and am unable to boot:
Info: The application or operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or contains erros.

Note:

- Partition VHD with MBR

Hi,
I'm using VM Ware Player 16.2x. How do you format a ventoy usb with NTFS and keep the correct ventoy partition layout? When I format the 1st. data partition with NTFS the 1mb space after the efi partition is lost. I went back to using mbr, fat & exfat for the ventoy disk.

Are you using a ventoy_grub.cfg for booting vhd(x)s. Do you use the boot conf replace & menu extention options? Right now when I press the F6 option at the Ventoy menu, the ventoy_grub.cfg menu setup only flashes briefly. How does ventoy use ventoy_vhdboot.img if it isn't called by the *.cfg file?

Phil
(07-17-2022, 09:15 PM)Digi-O Wrote:
(06-26-2022, 06:02 PM)aristo123 Wrote: My system is set for UEFI boot. I made a VHD of medicat (GPT, Ventoy 1.77, NTFS). 

Note:

- Partition VHD with MBR

Hi,
I'm using VM Ware Player 16.2x. How do you format a ventoy usb with NTFS and keep the correct ventoy partition layout? When I format the 1st. data partition with NTFS the 1mb space after the efi partition is lost. I went back to using mbr, fat & exfat for the ventoy disk.

Are you using a ventoy_grub.cfg for booting vhd(x)s. Do you use the boot conf replace & menu extention options? Right now when I press the F6 option at the Ventoy menu, the ventoy_grub.cfg menu setup only flashes briefly. How does ventoy use ventoy_vhdboot.img if it isn't called by the *.cfg file?

Phil
You can show a clip or photo of The medicat VHD boots successfully in VirtualBox