Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED] Can Ventoy boot a Veracrypt ZIP rescue disk?
solved 
Hi,

I am using Veracrypt on my computer and unfortunately, it only creates a .zip rescue disk instead of an .iso. The .zip contains the files meant to be on a FAT32 EFI system partition. Is there any way Ventoy can boot it, or I can convert it into an .iso?

Thanks.

P.S. regarding Veracrypt, it should create an .iso rescue disk since my computer boots in UEFI with a GPT partition disk. However for some reason it only creates a .zip rescue disk. I have asked around and no one knows why or how to force Veracrypt to generate an .iso.
If your bootloader or other data gets corrupted, you'll have to reboot from the Rescue Disk if you want to decrypt and access your files. Rescue Disk will also keep a backup image of the original contents of the drive, allowing you to restore when needed.

Note that you'll still need to provide your password when using Rescue Disk, so it won't be a "golden key" to access all of your files. VeraCrypt will only create a Rescue Disk ISO image at C:\Users\NAME\Documents\VeraCrypt Rescue Disk.iso by default. You will need to manually burn the ISO image to disc.

Make sure you burn a copy of the Rescue Disk so you can access your files if something goes wrong. You will not be able to reuse the same Rescue Disk VeraCrypt on multiple computers, you will need a unique rescue disk for each PC!
(11-29-2021, 04:08 PM)sudo394850 Wrote: Hi,

I am using Veracrypt on my computer and unfortunately, it only creates a .zip rescue disk instead of an .iso. The .zip contains the files meant to be on a FAT32 EFI system partition. Is there any way Ventoy can boot it, or I can convert it into an .iso?

Thanks.

P.S. regarding Veracrypt, it should create an .iso rescue disk since my computer boots in UEFI with a GPT partition disk. However for some reason it only creates a .zip rescue disk. I have asked around and no one knows why or how to force Veracrypt to generate an .iso.

If the files in zip are those in FAT32 ESP partition. You can try extract the files from zip and create an img file use espack tool
https://github.com/ventoy/espack

After that copy the img file to Ventoy USB and boot it.
solved 
(11-30-2021, 01:02 AM)longpanda Wrote:
(11-29-2021, 04:08 PM)sudo394850 Wrote: Hi,

Thanks.

If the files in zip are those in FAT32 ESP partition. You can try extract the files from zip and create an img file use espack tool
https://github.com/ventoy/espack

After that copy the img file to Ventoy USB and boot it.

Thank you this solves my problem exactly. I retrospect I could have googled "Ventoy ESP" and found the anwser.
Hello,

Don't fancy opening a new topic, so will ask here even if it's marked solved.

Unlike the OP, I have a VeraCrypt Rescue Disk.iso file already on hand but adding it to a Ventoy USB and attempting to boot off it fails. It merely spends some time going through motions before taking me back to the normal Veracrypt Boot Loader where you login by supplying credentials. I can boot off all other ISOs with no issues.

However, I have little trouble booting off the same VeraCrypt Rescue Disk from an Easy2Boot USB (which also gives you the option to integrate Ventoy into it).

Does a Rescue ISO also require creating an img file from here https://github.com/ventoy/espack

Thank you