Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boot menu improperly displays hidden AppleDouble dot files
Bug 
A Mac OS machine leaves dot files such as “.DS_Store” and “._Linux-Mint.iso” when any file is copied, moved or renamed via the Finder. Normally on Linux or Mac OS (and Windows?) these dot files are hidden by file browsers and even command line tools like “ls”. 

I had used a Mac to copy about a dozen ISOs to the ExFAT partition, sorted into folders. Ventoy displayed something like this on its boot menu: 

._dos-7.iso
._freebsd-12.iso
._freenas-11.3.iso
._linux-mint-x64.iso
._windows10-1909.iso
dos-7.iso

freebsd-12.iso
freenas-11.3.iso
linux-mint-x64.iso
windows10-1909.iso

Since there were more ISOs than this on my drive I had to scroll down to the next page of the boot menu just to see any of the real ISO entries. 

These AppleDouble dot-underscore files contain metadata incompatible with non-Mac filesystems, that would normally be stored in a “resource fork” on an HFS/HFS+ or APFS formatted partition, completely hidden to the user. These files can be cleaned manually from a drive with a tool like Onyx, but that would need to be done every single time any ISO file was modified (moved, copied, renamed) on any Mac. 

Ideally the solution to this is for Ventoy to ignore and hide any dot files it encounters, regardless of whether or not they end in “.iso”. Just like “ls” does unless you do “ls -a”. 
What about the size of these ._xxx files?

A valid ISO file must have size > 32KB, is it possiable to filt them by size?
(05-13-2020, 02:15 AM)longpanda Wrote: What about the size of these ._xxx files?

A valid ISO file must have size > 32KB,  is it possiable to filt them by size?

I don’t understand why you wouldn’t want to just filter out all files that start with a dot. Ventoy is already programmed to ignore any ISOs in a folder that contains a file named “.ventoyignore”. I verified that it works. 

I can’t find good information on how large a Mac resource fork can get, but they can contain all sorts of different icons and even some image filetypes. Filtering on size does not seem like the appropriate solution. 

If it is true that there cannot be a valid ISO less than 32KB, seems like filtering out smaller ISO files would also be a good idea. But that should be separate from the solution of filtering out invisible dot files. If I want to I should be able to hide a valid large ISO file from the menu (and my file browser) by adding a dot to the beginning of the file name. That is the expected behavior of dot files.
I don't think auto filt by name is a good idea.
It's very normal for an iso file with name ._xxx.iso, especially in Linux.
Maybe in future release, I can provide a configuration in the json file for user to set the name pattern to filt, such as "filt_name_pattern": "._*.iso"
Anyway, the filtering action must be initiated by the user.
(05-13-2020, 07:55 AM)longpanda Wrote: I don't think auto filt by name is a good idea.
Maybe in future release,  I can provide a configuration in the json file for user to set the name pattern  to filt, such as  "filt_name_pattern":  "._*.iso" 

Where have you actually seen (in Linux) a real ISO file with a name that starts with not just dot but dot underscore? I am very curious what you are referring to. In Linux such a file would be hidden in most file browsers. What would be the purpose of that? 

I’ve never seen or heard of such a thing. What application in Linux creates ISO files with names like that?
(05-13-2020, 08:13 AM)RedbearAK Wrote:
(05-13-2020, 07:55 AM)longpanda Wrote: I don't think auto filt by name is a good idea.
Maybe in future release,  I can provide a configuration in the json file for user to set the name pattern  to filt, such as  "filt_name_pattern":  "._*.iso" 

Where have you actually seen (in Linux) a real ISO file with a name that starts with not just dot but dot underscore? I am very curious what you are referring to. In Linux such a file would be hidden in most file browsers. What would be the purpose of that? 

I’ve never seen or heard of such a thing. What application in Linux creates ISO files with names like that?

I mean that, the user can change an iso file's name to that format, that's no problem, that's a valid file name.
Although this is not common, but you can't guarantee that no one will do this. I can't restrict users from doing this. They have the right to do this.

So ventoy will never filt iso files by default. All the filtering action must be initiated by the user.