Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MacBook boot
I was experimenting with Ventoy on my MacBook Pro (a mid-2010 model) to see if it could load an install image or live CD from there.  It did boot the Ventoy USB and showed the list of boot images, but none of them would load.  I tried this with both a BigSur installer image (that works when written directly to a USB on it's own) as well as a current Fedora 37 ISO image (the Cinnamon spin in this case).

I can understand if this is just unworkable in general, but I had wondered if this has been tried, and perhaps I need to give it different startup/boot options.  Not critical, but I thought it would be handy to troubleshoot/repair Intel-based Mac systems with the same boot tool (Apple silicon will be an entirely different issue).
Does your Mac have a uefi32 bios or a uefi64 bios?
If uefi32 then you need Linux uefi32 iso which are quite rare and difficult to find.
I don't think Mac installer image files are supported by ventoy at all.
(12-12-2022, 07:26 PM)Steve2926 Wrote: Does your Mac have a uefi32 bios or a uefi64 bios?
If uefi32 then you need Linux uefi32 iso which are quite rare and difficult to find.
I don't think Mac installer image files are supported by ventoy at all.

Would have to be uefi64 as it's a 64bit Intel Core 2 Duo.

It was an experiment, I figured it would be handy if I could use Ventoy for Mac as well.  But it's not just MacOS installer images though; I have a Fedora 37 image on there as well, and that wouldn't boot either (I had used a linux DVD to wipe the drive when I first got the machine, so I know Linux can run on it).
Systems with a 64-bit CPU can have a UEFI32 BIOS or a UEFI64 BIOS. You cannot assume that just because it has a 64-bit CPU then it has UEFI64 Firmware!
If you boot to Ventoy and choose F5 Tools - Hardware Information, does Platform = i386-efi or x86_64-efi or i386-pc ?