Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ventoy - Black Screen with flashing underscore
So I have Linux - Ubuntu and I want to make bootable USB. But I have a problem. Every time I boot from USB all I get is black screen with flashing underscore. My motherboard and CPU is: Hewlett-Packard 0B40h, CPU Intel Core i7 870. And yes I updated my BIOS and it still doesn't work. And USB is new.
Check your BIOS: confirm if you're booting in UEFI (likely) or Legacy mode -- setup differs slightly in each case. But I bet this is yet another case of having Secure Boot engaged.

After that, try to configure your USB drive in accordance to boot your Ubuntu ISO: for details, see https://www.ventoy.net/en/doc_news.html...
Idea When a post helps you in any way, please rate it. Thank you. [Image: rateit.png]
(12-19-2021, 08:28 PM)Midas Wrote: Check your BIOS: confirm if you're booting in UEFI (likely) or Legacy mode -- setup differs slightly in each case. But I bet this is yet another case of having Secure Boot engaged.

After that, try to configure your USB drive in accordance to boot your Ubuntu ISO: for details, see https://www.ventoy.net/en/doc_news.html...
I don't have UEFI and I don't have Secure Boot in my BIOS. Undecided
So your Ventoy USB drive boots on all other PCs and NoteBooks - just not on the HP 0B40h

If you haven't tested it successfully on any other system, how do you know your USB drive is OK?
(12-20-2021, 10:17 AM)Steve2926 Wrote: So your Ventoy USB drive boots on all other PCs and NoteBooks - just not on the HP 0B40h

If you haven't tested it successfully on any other system, how do you know your USB drive is OK?
The USB IS OK. I tested it on my brothers PC and it works.
If you can MBR boot OK on your brothers system , it should say 'BIOS' at the bottom of the menu.
If it does, then your HP BIOS is the problem.
Check the BIOS configuration settings on the HP.
Also give details of what the USB drive is (type, model, size) etc.
Some BIOSes will not boot from USB drives larger than 128GB for instance.
Qual X Wrote: I don't have UEFI and I don't have Secure Boot in my BIOS. Undecided

I see. Then you must ensure you're following the BIOS/MBR steps.

Steve2926 Wrote: Check the BIOS configuration settings on the HP.

These are sound suggestions, too.

Can you boot any LiveCD from this USB? Run 'inxi -A' in the console and report back...
Idea When a post helps you in any way, please rate it. Thank you. [Image: rateit.png]
(12-21-2021, 11:59 AM)Steve2926 Wrote: If you can MBR boot OK on your brothers system , it should say 'BIOS' at the bottom of the menu.
If it does, then your HP BIOS is the problem.
Check the BIOS configuration settings on the HP.
Some BIOSes will not boot from USB drives larger than 128GB for instance.
USB is EMTEC C350 32GB.

(12-21-2021, 01:06 PM)Midas Wrote:
Qual X Wrote: I don't have UEFI and I don't have Secure Boot in my BIOS. Undecided

I see. Then you must ensure you're following the BIOS/MBR steps.

Steve2926 Wrote: Check the BIOS configuration settings on the HP.

These are sound suggestions, too.

Can you boot any LiveCD from this USB? Run 'inxi -A' in the console and report back...
What BIOS/MBR steps?
Qual X Wrote: What BIOS/MBR steps?

Whatever is prescribed in documentation; chiefly at: