Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ventoy upgrade
Hi, Ventoy new version files come out, but how to upgrade stick?
Information 
See this:

https://www.ventoy.net/en/doc_start.html Wrote:Update Ventoy

If a new version of Ventoy is released, you can update it to the USB drive. It should be noted that the upgrade operation is safe, all the files in the first partition will be unchanged. Upgrade operation is in the same way with installation. Ventoy2Disk.exe and Ventoy2Disk.sh will prompt you for update if the USB drive already installed with Ventoy.
Idea When a post helps you in any way, please rate it. Thank you. [Image: rateit.png]
(09-13-2020, 03:12 PM)Midas Wrote: See this:

If a new version of Ventoy is released, you can update it to the USB drive. It should be noted that the upgrade operation is safe, all the files in the first partition will be unchanged. Upgrade operation is in the same way with installation. Ventoy2Disk.exe and Ventoy2Disk.sh will prompt you for update if the USB drive already installed with Ventoy.
This statement does NOT tell the whole picture. It SHOULD state that the user doing the upgrade MUST know what options was used before in a prior release, if  behavior is to continue as before!

It should go on to strongly state that If you DONT remember those options you run the risk of unexpected behavior where one is agonizing to explain.

VENTOY must, at some time in its future, begin to adopt a configuration file that is saved when the USB is created. This would make the upgrade option consistent from release to release because the upgrade could see the current options and carry them forward...unless overridden.
Smile Happy to learn how to ...
I made this question bcs had bad expеrience by update version 10 - all Iso's have been deleted!
(09-13-2020, 02:13 PM)iliyan_pi Wrote: Hi, Ventoy new version files come out, but how to upgrade stick?

Seem upgrade option is broken or not available for 
1.0.21 release
The Upgrade box is grey off.
(09-14-2020, 09:42 AM)cscs Wrote:
(09-13-2020, 02:13 PM)iliyan_pi Wrote: Hi, Ventoy new version files come out, but how to upgrade stick?

1.0.21 release

My original version is 1.0.20.
Confirm upgrade option is not available when I try 1.0.21 as upgrade option is grey off.
(09-15-2020, 11:52 PM)cscs Wrote:

1.0.21 release

Confirm upgrade option is not available when I try 1.0.21 as upgrade option is grey off.

The disk partition table may be changed since ventoy 1.0.20 installed. You can give the log.txt for debug.
(09-17-2020, 01:23 AM)longpanda Wrote:
(09-15-2020, 11:52 PM)cscs Wrote:

1.0.21 release

The disk partition table may be changed since ventoy 1.0.20 installed. You can give the log.txt for debug.

Sorry, has did this:
1. Copy all program/ISO to a spare disk.
2. Use 1.0.21 (do not have upgrade option), it format the whole USB disk.
3. Copy back those files backup in "1" and it works.
But is kind of time consuming.

Update:
After USB stick has upgraded to 1.0.21, running 1.0.21 again,
Ventoy can now show Ventoy in package 1.0.21 and Ventory in Device 1.0.21
Previously, it show Ventoy in package 1.0.20 and Ventoy in device is blank even the program do detect my USB device correctly.
(09-13-2020, 03:12 PM)Midas Wrote: See this:

This is correct. I updated my USB stick without issue in Linux.

I was worried if the Ventoy update would remove my extra partitions on the USB but it left them alone and also the existing ISO files in the "ventoy" partition. I did not use the exact command I had used before to install Ventoy originally: "sudo sh Ventoy2Disk.sh -i -r 10000 /dev/sdg" but this command: "sudo sh Ventoy2Disk.sh -u /dev/sdg". It was not necessary to specify the "-r 10000" switch for the upgrade.
So looks like it only happen to Windows version?