Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Graphics Out of Sync On ISO Startup
I am having the same issue, which happens not only on Windows PE iso's, but also on Linux ones as well.  I'm using legacy boot.  I can confirm that the issue seems to be dependent on the iso's position in the list.  In some directories, if the iso is listed first, third, fifth, or any other ODD number, it fails.  If it is listed second, fourth, sixth, or any other EVEN number, it succeeds.  In other folders, it's the reverse--if the iso is listed in an ODD position, it succeeds, but if it is listed in an EVEN position, it fails.  If add an iso to the directory before the iso in question, it will switch that iso from being ODD to EVEN (or vice versa) and it will start working when it was not working before (or vice versa).

My workaround is to have duplicate iso's for everything I care about.  One named ***-A and one named ***-B.  Since they will be listed next to each other, one will always be listed in an odd position and the other in an even position.  So one of them will always work.

An interesting thing is that sometimes an iso will be listed in an odd position in the tree view and in an even position in the list view.  In that case, it will work if launched from the list view and it will fail if launched from the tree view.
GreatViews... thanx much for the additional info (using LEGACY BOOT as well)!  Hope this helps LongPanda...
try using text mode gui on ventoy boot menu.
(08-29-2020, 06:15 PM)GreatViews Wrote: I am having the same issue, which happens not only on Windows PE iso's, but also on Linux ones as well.  I'm using legacy boot.  I can confirm that the issue seems to be dependent on the iso's position in the list.  In some directories, if the iso is listed first, third, fifth, or any other ODD number, it fails.  If it is listed second, fourth, sixth, or any other EVEN number, it succeeds.  In other folders, it's the reverse--if the iso is listed in an ODD position, it succeeds, but if it is listed in an EVEN position, it fails.  If add an iso to the directory before the iso in question, it will switch that iso from being ODD to EVEN (or vice versa) and it will start working when it was not working before (or vice versa).

My workaround is to have duplicate iso's for everything I care about.  One named ***-A and one named ***-B.  Since they will be listed next to each other, one will always be listed in an odd position and the other in an even position.  So one of them will always work.

An interesting thing is that sometimes an iso will be listed in an odd position in the tree view and in an even position in the list view.  In that case, it will work if launched from the list view and it will fail if launched from the tree view.
Yes, confirm Linux also same issue. Seem happen to high resolution VGA output only. On my old Acer 1366 resolution works fine.
I can completely CONFIRM @CSCS testing of both Linux and WinPE-based ISOs, also based on 1980x1020 graphics resolution.  If I test on a 1366x768 laptop, all ISOs run with correct video resolution.
(09-01-2020, 01:52 PM)FroggieTheGremlin Wrote: I can completely CONFIRM @CSCS testing of both Linux and WinPE-based ISOs, also based on 1980x1020 graphics resolution.  If I test on a 1366x768 laptop, all ISOs run with correct video resolution.

Seem to me may be is graphic driver issue?
(08-20-2020, 12:28 AM)FroggieTheGremlin Wrote: Greetings!  I have noticed that on many "tested" ISOs that when they start up, the graphics display is way out of sync and unreadable.  On some ISOs it happens all the time, some are random and many never fail.  These ISOs run fine from USB preparation tools (Rufus, etc) and from CD/DVD creations.

Any idea on where I should head with this issue?  It only happens with VENTOY... thanx!

(Using i7 4th gen with internal graphics <Intel HD Graphics 4600> and VGA)
Yes i also faced the issue, and i noticed that the background image has big size and display goes way. I think you should test it in non graphical interface if possible. so hope it will solve your problem
mr.neeo
(09-03-2020, 12:41 PM)mr.neeo Wrote:
(08-20-2020, 12:28 AM)FroggieTheGremlin Wrote: Greetings!  I have noticed that on many "tested" ISOs that when they start up, the graphics display is way out of sync and unreadable.  On some ISOs it happens all the time, some are random and many never fail.  These ISOs run fine from USB preparation tools (Rufus, etc) and from CD/DVD creations.

Any idea on where I should head with this issue?  It only happens with VENTOY... thanx!

(Using i7 4th gen with internal graphics <Intel HD Graphics 4600> and VGA)
Yes i also faced the issue, and i noticed that the background image has big size and display goes way. I think you should test it in non graphical interface if possible. so hope it will solve your problem

Please refer to post #1
I have the same problem, mostly for WinPE or Windows ISO. My case is that it works if the issued ISO in odd order, but I don't like the way how to make it work.

Finally, Change the display mode to CLI, and everything works. No need to play the odd and even order any more.

Here is how:
Inside the downloaded Ventoy zip file, there is \plugin\ventoy folder, copy the "ventoy" folder to the usb partition where the ISO's are located.
Open ventoy.jason inside ventoy folder on usb, change the theme as following:
"theme": {
        "file": "/ventoy/theme/theme.txt", 
        "gfxmode": "1024x768", 
        "display_mode": "CLI",
        "ventoy_left": "5%",
        "ventoy_top": "95%",
        "ventoy_color": "#0000ff"
    },

It works for me, and hope for you too.
@bsun99, thanks for a great workaround... it's a keeper for now!

I'm actually giddy over this... Smile