Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PC will not load Ventoy
(05-24-2020, 08:37 PM)Tinkl Wrote: if it helps, uploaded 2 files here: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/k4qmjvb...jaa/shared 
1M_usb_Kali.img - from flash drive whithin Kali, botable, defined as USB-HDD0
1M_usb_ventoy.img - from flash drive whithin ventoy, not botable, defined as USB-ZIP0
The strange thing is that the installation with a boot flag don't boot on your system and the installation without a boot flag can boot...
I don't know what it can be, better wait for the developer to take a look

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(05-25-2020, 04:11 PM)KaMyKaSii Wrote:
(05-24-2020, 08:37 PM)Tinkl Wrote: if it helps, uploaded 2 files here: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/k4qmjvb...jaa/shared 
1M_usb_Kali.img - from flash drive whithin Kali, botable, defined as USB-HDD0
1M_usb_ventoy.img - from flash drive whithin ventoy, not botable, defined as USB-ZIP0
The strange thing is that the installation with a boot flag don't boot on your system and the installation without a boot flag can boot...
I don't know what it can be, better wait for the developer to take a look
You know, it worked!  Big Grin I removed the boot flag from the second partition(efi), and the flash drive was identified as USB-HDD0, and ventoy booted. Stranger things...
Thank you for paying attention to this.
I had hoped that 1.0.12 Change the 1st partition active and 2nd partition inactive by default (compatibility improvement). might make a difference, but it hasn't helped.  Assuming that an Update is sufficient to do this, or do I need to do a re-Install?
(06-04-2020, 09:45 PM)Hairy Mutley Wrote: I had hoped that 1.0.12 Change the 1st partition active and 2nd partition inactive by default (compatibility improvement). might make a difference, but it hasn't helped.  Assuming that an Update is sufficient to do this, or do I need to do a re-Install?

I think that is enough. Try removing the bootable flag using fdisk and see if you're lucky as Tinkl
(06-04-2020, 11:20 PM)KaMyKaSii Wrote:
(06-04-2020, 09:45 PM)Hairy Mutley Wrote: I had hoped that 1.0.12 Change the 1st partition active and 2nd partition inactive by default (compatibility improvement). might make a difference, but it hasn't helped.  Assuming that an Update is sufficient to do this, or do I need to do a re-Install?

I think that is enough. Try removing the bootable flag using fdisk and see if you're lucky as Tinkl

After 1.0.12 Update, fdisk showed that Boot was set only on partition 1; Ventoy not booting.
Used fdisk to clear the Boot flag on partition 1; Ventoy is still not booting.
For the heck of it I set Boot only on partition 2; Ventoy still does not boot.
Well... it was worth a try.
I have been troubleshooting this problem for a while and no luck. At one point my uefi only laptop did boot from it but not anymore. Frustratingly I only get the "Linpus lite" boot option which does nothing and my Windows boot option. Strangely if I format a usb drive using Easy2Boot with agfm that drive will be recognized by the computer boot menu as USB HDD. If I delete all the files from the EFI partition of the E2B drive and replace them with Ventoy files it goes back to Linpus lite again. If I then delete all the Ventoy files and put back the E2B+agfm files, I still get Linpus lite again. Only doing a clean install of E2B+agfm will make it recognize the USB as bootable again. E2B sets first partition as boot and second partition with "lba" flag. Ventoy sets first partition as boot and second with "esp" flag. Changing partition flags has no effect though. The only way around this is to go to the bios and manually add the EFI file as trusted, but it's not a good solution. If I use a different USB with Ventoy I have to add the EFI files again even though they're exactly the same. Could be UEFI just sucks on this Acer laptop although it won't boot in Virtualbox either. Not sure why the bootx64.efi is refusing to be recognized/loaded by UEFI booting when USB sticks created with E2B or rufus work fine. I was hoping to use the Kaspersky shim same as E2B to load Ventoy but usb can't be recognized as bootable either way.

I was hoping to use a Ventoy disk for troubleshooting support on different PCs, I'll have to find another UEFI computer to test.
I had much the same issue. I was trying to test on my Thinkpad A485, simply WILL NOT see a Ventoy USB as a bootable device. Doesn't matter what I've tried, simply doesn't recognize it as bootable. But my other Thinkpad (T470), no issues whatsoever...
All current systems can be viewed at:

https://personal.onlyoffice.com/products...xNTI4MjUi0
Does your ThinkPad have the option to manually select/approve an efi file to boot in the bios?
Ventoy 1.0.19 still does not work for me (BIOS still reports "Operating System not found").
For what it is worth, if I try to create a bootable USB from Linux Mint 20.0 x64
- if I create it with Etcher 1.5.45, it produces the same result (OS not found)
- if I create it with Rufus 3.11, it boots without a problem
The Active flag status of a partition should not affect UEFI-booting.
It is possible that some UEFI BIOSes do not like an 'EF' type partition type on an MBR disk. To test this you should change the EF byte to 0C.