Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows 10 legacy mode setup problem
Maybe use Rufus to put the ISO onto the 1TB drive and see if you have any problems?

I am still not clear about which Windows Install ISOs fail on the 1TB drive in Legacy mode and which ISOs are OK?
If some Windows ISOs work and some Windows ISOs fail - then which ones are they and what is their size?
(10-01-2022, 08:38 AM)Steve2926 Wrote: Maybe use Rufus to put the ISO onto the 1TB drive and see if you have any problems?

I am still not clear about which Windows Install ISOs fail on the 1TB drive in Legacy mode and which ISOs are OK?
If some Windows ISOs work and some Windows ISOs fail - then which ones are they and what is their size?
I just did this test, I got another HD now with a total size of 500GB, with ventoy in the ventoy-1.0.80 version, in legacy mode, in the second menu, normal mode does not start the installation of windows, in winboot mode, it does not let you create partitions giving error as I had already done the tests before, in efi mode it starts normal, as it happened with 1TB HD in the same way both.
Now I took Rufus and marked MBR, the photo is attached, I created the disk with rufus and it works normally in legacy mode.
Windows 10 ISO 21H2 10,257,891,328 bytes

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Can you give me the link to download windows iso?Try pressing the i key and then enter.When using Rufus, does it let you create partitions?
(10-03-2022, 02:56 PM)nguyen ha thai trong Wrote: Can you give me the link to download windows iso?Try pressing the i key and then enter.When using Rufus, does it let you create partitions?
Please explain better, you say when using in normal mode on the second boot screen when it crashes I press the i key?
Yes in rufus everything works perfectly.
About making the .iso available I'm seeing what I can do.
Select the iso file, press the i key, it boots the iso in compatibility mode, it doesn't enter the Secondary boot menu but boots the iso file. You partitioned on the 500gb hdd that you used Rufus ?
(10-03-2022, 06:24 PM)nguyen ha thai trong Wrote: Select the iso file, press the i key, it boots the iso in compatibility mode, it doesn't enter the Secondary boot menu but boots the iso file. You partitioned on the 500gb hdd that you used Rufus ?
I made a video, but unfortunately my resolution is very bad.
I did the test with I that asked for compatibility mode, the result is that it doesn't find satan disk drive, that is, it doesn't work.
Video EFI mode, working normal even in normal menu.
Video Test-Off, As you can see, it does not leave the second menu screen, it is stuck there, in winboot mode, it is possible to delete the partitions, but after creating the partition it does not start installing, giving an error.
Now comes the biggest problem, as you can see in this last video Test-ON, same .iso same pc, all the same scenario, it passed the installation in legacy mode with normal option, if every 10 attempts it works, but if you restart and try again or it crashes or gives an error, as I showed in the photos sent earlier.
So I didn't find the problem and it's complex, because as you can see the .iso sometimes works sometimes it doesn't, remembering that it only happens in legacy mode.

Link to download videos:

Sorry for the english, but I'm using translator.
Try booting your iso with grubfm_multiarch.iso from https://github.com/a1ive/grub2-filemanager/releases, download grubfm_multiarch.iso and copy it to ventoy usb(hdd) and load it from ventoy
(10-04-2022, 03:09 AM)nguyen ha thai trong Wrote: Try booting your iso with grubfm_multiarch.iso from https://github.com/a1ive/grub2-filemanager/releases, download grubfm_multiarch.iso and copy it to ventoy usb(hdd) and load it from ventoy
OK, I did the test, I downloaded grubfm_multiarch.iso, I put it in the ventoy, I started it and through the grubfm I opened the windows iso, it behaves better, it does not crash and opens the installation normally, but unfortunately, it has the same errors found in the ventoy , it can delete partitions, format partition, but it does not create, showing the same two errors that give in ventoy, photos attached.
I also tested grubfm_multiarch.iso in EFI mode, as in ventoy, it works correctly, and it installs windows normally as well.
Error only happens if using legacy mode.

(10-04-2022, 11:25 AM)jlsupremo Wrote:
(10-04-2022, 03:09 AM)nguyen ha thai trong Wrote: Try booting your iso with grubfm_multiarch.iso from https://github.com/a1ive/grub2-filemanager/releases, download grubfm_multiarch.iso and copy it to ventoy usb(hdd) and load it from ventoy
OK, I did the test, I downloaded grubfm_multiarch.iso, I put it in the ventoy, I started it and through the grubfm I opened the windows iso, it behaves better, it does not crash and opens the installation normally, but unfortunately, it has the same errors found in the ventoy , it can delete partitions, format partition, but it does not create, showing the same two errors that give in ventoy, photos attached.
I also tested grubfm_multiarch.iso in EFI mode, as in ventoy, it works correctly, and it installs windows normally as well.
Error only happens if using legacy mode.
I think I found the problem on one of the pcs I'm testing, now on the other I didn't find any equivalent option in its bios.

I'm doing the tests, from what I'm seeing the problem is in the Windows 8/10 Features option in the BIOS, if you have Other OS, it didn't show an error it worked in legacy mode, but if it's in the Windows 8/10 option, it shows the errors.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Ventoy tells you what mode it has booted in - the version sting at the bottom of the menu will either say BIOS or UEFI.
Are you sure it says BIOS in all cases? i.e. are you always legacy booting?
(10-04-2022, 12:19 PM)Steve2926 Wrote: Ventoy tells you what mode it has booted in - the version sting at the bottom of the menu will either say BIOS or UEFI.
Are you sure it says BIOS in all cases?  i.e. are you always legacy booting?
I just checked this information for you, yes in both cases it appears the same, 1.0.80 BIOS www.ventoy.net
Windows 8/10 Features Other OS = 1.0.80 BIOS www.ventoy.net
Windows 8/10 Features Windows 8/10 = 1.0.80 BIOS www.ventoy.net