Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
 Ventoy enroll key manager not working in new Dell laptops that use SecureBoot
In earlier Dell models, enrolling the ventoy key into the key manager works fine and allows you to boot Ventoy after enrolling the key.

However, in at least the new Dell Latitude 5550's, this no longer works.  As a matter of fact, you don't even get the pop up from Ventoy to enroll the key into the key manager, it just tries to boot, then can't.

The only way to boot Ventoy with new Dell laptops is to disable secure boot in the bios, do what you need, then re-enable secure boot.

Can you put this on a buglist or a list to fix?
(06-11-2024, 02:00 PM)MBSTech Wrote: In earlier Dell models, enrolling the ventoy key into the key manager works fine and allows you to boot Ventoy after enrolling the key.

However, in at least the new Dell Latitude 5550's, this no longer works.  As a matter of fact, you don't even get the pop up from Ventoy to enroll the key into the key manager, it just tries to boot, then can't.

The only way to boot Ventoy with new Dell laptops is to disable secure boot in the bios, do what you need, then re-enable secure boot.

Can you put this on a buglist or a list to fix?

Any word on this?  Would be nice to be able to enroll the keys again instead of disabling secure boot every time, then re-enabling it afterwards (which sometimes can be forgotten).
Yes I can confirm this error, it is the case with all Dell models we use (a lot of different Latitude & Optiplex models).
It started with 1.0.99. All our computers use secure boot, so it is a bummer.
There is definitely something in the implementation of secure boot in Dell computers that does not work with the latest implementation of Ventoy key enrollment, firmware version does not play any role in my testing (older or newer, same errors).

Downgrading to at least 1.0.98 is necessary, or disabling secure boot, which is not really an option.

Hope they can fix it.
Any word on any plans to fix this issue in a future release of Ventoy?
Question: Is it possible to simply copy the KEY from the 1.0.98 and have it work? Or is it necessary to reinstall 1.0.98? Is the problem the key file itself or the enrollment process?
(07-04-2024, 09:42 PM)Bavo Wrote: Yes I can confirm this error, it is the case with all Dell models we use (a lot of different Latitude & Optiplex models).
It started with 1.0.99. All our computers use secure boot, so it is a bummer.
There is definitely something in the implementation of secure boot in Dell computers that does not work with the latest implementation of Ventoy key enrollment, firmware version does not play any role in my testing (older or newer, same errors).

Downgrading to at least 1.0.98 is necessary, or disabling secure boot, which is not really an option.

Hope they can fix it.

This is not the case for the new Dell Latitude 5550's.  It simply does not allow you to enroll the key into the key manager, no matter what version on Ventoy you are running.  This is precisely why I made this post, so that the developer could fix this issue on a future release of Ventoy.

(07-16-2024, 12:40 PM)Rootman Wrote: Question:  Is it possible to simply copy the KEY from the 1.0.98 and have it work? Or is it necessary to reinstall 1.0.98? Is the problem the key file itself or the enrollment process?

This won't work as the .98 version (nor earlier versions nor .99 either) does not allow you to enroll the key.  It is simply broken for all versions of Ventoy on new Dell latitude 5550's at least.  I am quite certain that this also is the case on new Dell Precision models as well.  The next time I get a Precision model, I will test.

I am taking it that these forums don't get visited very often by the dev or moderators as this is quite an old post.  Not to mention that I have seen spam dating posts go for a week without being deleted.
Hi All,
I can confirm unfortunately that 1.99 and 1.96 both do not allow key enrolment on later models of Dell Precision 3591 laptops.
Any assistance with this great issue imposed upon us by Dell, seemingly without reason, would be greatly appreciated!
Kindest warm regards

:EDIT:

I thought I'd clarify that I worked my way back through 1.99, 1.98, 1.97 & 1.96 but the way I worded it doesn't reflect that.
Anyway, from my experience on 3 different new Dell Precision 3591 laptops none of them bring up the key enrolment screen that older ones did (even Precision 3581) with all the above revisions of Ventoy

I'm more than happy to be part of any testing to further improve our resolve if I can be of any help let me know.
(07-26-2024, 04:11 AM)nicgatsys Wrote: Hi All,
I can confirm unfortunately that 1.99 and 1.96 both do not allow key enrolment on later models of Dell Precision 3591 laptops.
Any assistance with this great issue imposed upon us by Dell, seemingly without reason, would be greatly appreciated!
Kindest warm regards

I thought I'd clarify that I worked my way back through 1.99, 1.98, 1.97 & 1.96 but the way I worded it doesn't reflect that.
Anyway, from my experience on 3 different new Dell Precision 3591 laptops none of them bring up the key enrolment screen that older ones did (even Precision 3581) with all the above revisions of Ventoy

I'm more than happy to be part of any testing to further improve our resolve if I can be of any help let me know.
Please upload images of the error you are experiencing.
(07-27-2024, 10:38 AM)nguyen ha thai trong Wrote:
Kindest warm regards

Hi mate, there are no errors coming up just that when selecting the UEFI option for the Ventoy created drive on any new Dell machine it brings up the SupportAssist On-board Diagnostics rather than the key enrolment screen - where previously it would show the key screen to enrol the key for the Ventoy drive now it just does the diagnostics and says "No hardware issues were found, Click continue to run SupportAssist OS Recovery or if you do not want to then click cancel to restart." I assume it thinks you want to wipe the PC I guess (which is technically true)..
Anyway though, this doesn't happen if you disable Secure Boot in UEFI settings on the laptop and boot to the Ventoy drive.
(07-28-2024, 11:27 PM)nicgatsys Wrote:
(07-27-2024, 10:38 AM)nguyen ha thai trong Wrote:
Kindest warm regards

Hi mate, there are no errors coming up just that when selecting the UEFI option for the Ventoy created drive on any new Dell machine it brings up the SupportAssist On-board Diagnostics rather than the key enrolment screen - where previously it would show the key screen to enrol the key for the Ventoy drive now it just does the diagnostics and says "No hardware issues were found, Click continue to run SupportAssist OS Recovery or if you do not want to then click cancel to restart." I assume it thinks you want to wipe the PC I guess (which is technically true)..
Anyway though, this doesn't happen if you disable Secure Boot in UEFI settings on the laptop and boot to the Ventoy drive.

what about ventoy 1.0.95 or earlier?