Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boot Windows XP from VHD ???
Since the latest version of Ventoy also supports booting from VHD, I have been working on this for the last few days.
Windows (different versions) I get all of them running.
Windows XP I unfortunately can't get to run. :-(
Maybe someone of you has a VHD with XP and the integrated drivers for Vboot to test.
Did anyone of you already manage that ???
I am guessing here, but I believe XP is lacking the necessary driver to interact with a virtual disk and more so in case of its booting drive...

I also believe there may be workarounds, but I haven't researched them.
(09-27-2020, 12:20 PM)mat-industries Wrote: Since the latest version of Ventoy also supports booting from VHD, I have been working on this for the last few days.
Windows (different versions) I get all of them running.
Windows XP I unfortunately can't get to run. :-(
Maybe someone of you has a VHD with XP and the integrated drivers for Vboot to test.
Did anyone of you already manage that ???

Hello I managed without Ventoy to boot an XP from a VHD but then Ventoy doesn't allow me to boot the same VHD.

I followed the tutorials about SVbus on Reboot.pro forum:
- Got my ISO file (used the latest from Zone62.com)
- nLited the SVbus driver etc...
- Installed XP to the VHD via Grub4Dos

What happens with Ventoy is that it looks for "\Windows\system32\winload.efi" instead of Winload.exe

I'd really like to be able to configure the VHD to boot from Ventoy as I'm currently doing from G4D,
has anybody already succeded in doing this ?

Cheers,
V.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

can you install windows xp to disk.vhd ; disk.img ; disk.vdi? have you booted it from usb/hdd using vboot or grub4dos is it ok? if you can, ventoy can also boot it

You refer to how to install xp.vhd and adjust windows xp so that it can boot on any pc at the link https://alychitech.com/create-windows-xp-install-usb/
Are you MBR\Legacy booting to Ventoy?
UEFI-booting to Ventoy will not work.
(08-22-2021, 06:41 AM)Steve2926 Wrote: Are you MBR\Legacy booting to Ventoy?
UEFI-booting to Ventoy will not work.
ok