Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Graphics Out of Sync On ISO Startup
Greetings!  I have noticed that on many "tested" ISOs that when they start up, the graphics display is way out of sync and unreadable.  On some ISOs it happens all the time, some are random and many never fail.  These ISOs run fine from USB preparation tools (Rufus, etc) and from CD/DVD creations.

Any idea on where I should head with this issue?  It only happens with VENTOY... thanx!

(Using i7 4th gen with internal graphics <Intel HD Graphics 4600> and VGA)
Are these ISOs mostly Windows/WinPE ?
Besides, Legacy BIOS mode or UEFI mode?
The ISOs that appear to fail the most are WinPE-based (I'll do some further testing with Linux-based distros and application ISOs) and the mode I've been testing with has been Legacy-MBR.  The real weirdness is that starting those same ISOs from other sources (as mentioned) have no issues, and some of the failing ISOs always fail while other fail intermittantly.  It's very strange.

When I get a failure with an intermittent ISO, I just reBOOT and most of the time it starts just fine the next time.  The others I can never get to start.  I saw some of the same type of failures when using a Ventoy prepared UFD (USB Flash Drive) but now I'm in the middle of testing a Ventoy prepared USB HDD.

The failed display looks like out of sync graphics, with decending pixel lines offset from the line above them. Normally I would be looking at my graphics/display hardware but these failures only happen with Ventoy... maybe some sort of timing thing, I don't know.
A little more information, possibly. My current Ventoy build consists of 22-ISOs with a good mix of both WinPE-based and Linux-based ISOs. I went through all of them earlier and one thing I noticed (based on information I know of the ISO builds) is that almost every one built on WinPE (v1607) will fail, either all the time or most of the time. All the WinPE ISOs based on v1709 never fail. Some WinPEs I have I don't know what the build is (I can dig deeper, I guess), but the ones I don't know seem to work fine... I'm guessing they might be built on a newer WinPE base (v1709 or later?).

All of these WinPEs, regardless of build # work fine when using E2B (Easy2Boot) and when using Rufus to create individual UFDs. I'm sure the launch vector of those are most likely different that what Ventoy uses.

I don't know what else I can offer at the moment, but I'm willing to help in any way that I can. I notice that the Macrium Reflect Workstation v7 ISO (which I know is based on WinPE v1709) is TESTED. If you'd like to play, I can make a Macrium Reflect v6 ISO available (based on v1607 and fails almost every time)... just let me know.
OK.
This is a known issue. It exist from the first release. Because the problem has never appeared on my own machine, so it is not fixed until now.
Almost all the report I received about the issue is Windows/WinPE + Legacy BIOS.
Longpanda, if you wish to pursue this issue, I would be happy to be your test System if you'd like. PM me if interested.

---Froggie
Maybe another DATA point... the failed WinPE v1607 mentioned above fails as a ISO, fails as a WIM and works as a Memdisk insert.
Another day, another DATA point  Rolleyes

Using a different VENTOY prepared USB HDD (1tB), and changing the DATA partition to NTFS from exFAT (freshly formatted partition),  I load ISO#1 (WinPE-based) & ISO#2 (Linux-based).  I BOOT into VENTOY and try ISO#1... always fails.  Same and try ISO#2... always BOOTs.

Now I add ISO#3 (copy of ISO#1 with a different name from a different HDD, same file length).  BOOT ISO#1... always WORKS now, BOOT ISO#2... always works, BOOT ISO#3... always FAILS.  This is completely repeatable.

The ISO I used for ISO#1 and ISO#3 (renamed) above came from another VENTOY prepared USB HDD using an exFAT partition.

I'm still digging but there are definite issues here, most likely timing, that I surely don't understand...  Huh  Just tryin' to help  Angel
OK, another DATA point and final post for about a week (vacation).

It appears the version of WinPE used to create the ISOs is not the issue.  Latest test had 12-ISOs... 4-copies of ISO#1 (WinPEv1607), 4-copies of ISO#2 (WinPEv1607) and 4-copies of ISO#3 (WinPEv1709), all having different FileNames.  I used 3-different ISOs for the 3-groups of 4-each.
When testing... consistently, every ODD ISO failed to BOOT and every EVEN ISO BOOTed perfectly.  I could jump around among them and the failures were very consistent.

Maybe a loading byte/word boundary problem... ya got me.  I'll be back in a week and do some more testing.  If there's no movement on the issue, I may wind up abandoning VENTOY although I really love the concept.  Good luck!
(08-20-2020, 12:28 AM)FroggieTheGremlin Wrote: Greetings!  I have noticed that on many "tested" ISOs that when they start up, the graphics display is way out of sync and unreadable.  On some ISOs it happens all the time, some are random and many never fail.  These ISOs run fine from USB preparation tools (Rufus, etc) and from CD/DVD creations.

Any idea on where I should head with this issue?  It only happens with VENTOY... thanx!

(Using i7 4th gen with internal graphics <Intel HD Graphics 4600> and VGA)

Has same issued. Mostly happen to WinPE base iso. Sometime, using F1 load image is ok, but not always sucessful.