Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
 [F6] Option Works Only When Ventoy Started In MBR Mode [SOLVED]
I've installed the current version of Ventoy on a USB thumb drive, leaving about 40GB space free at the end.

I created 3 additional partitions in the free space, FAT32 for ` /GRUB/grubx64.efi `, a swap partition, then a single ext4 partition to install Linux (grub, EFI mode).

Then I added a ` /ventoy/ventoy_grub.cfg ` grub configuration file to use under the [F6] key option in Ventoy.

Everything works as expected except one small issue. I've tested the USB in vbox on Linux, and booted directly on my EFI HP pc. Similar results are the [F6] key does not bring up a boot menu if Ventoy is started in EFI mode.

When starting Ventoy in MBR mode, the [F6] grub menu shows up, Ventoy themed, and the Linux OS boots and runs well.

Is there a solution for this? All my computers are EFI except one old box I still have available.

Also, how would I manually add my ` ventoy_grub.cfg ' entries directly to Ventoys grub menu, to eliminate having to use [F6].
Alright, I kinda solved this....

I added a Linux install on it's own partitions on the Ventoy USB. However, I couldn't get to my grub menu using the Ventoy [F6] key unless I booted the USB in MBR mode.

Waiting for a reply, I poked around a bit and added my Linux install's boot entries to the end of Ventoy's grub configuration file.

This works, with one little glitch. After pressing an entry for Linux install, Ventoy shows an error, "can't find command load video, press any key to continue".

Pressing enter loads my Linux install and everything works well.

[Image: Screenshot-2024-08-23-17-17-29.png]

[Image: Screenshot-2024-08-23-17-17-48.png]

EDIT:

Well my bad, the ` load_video ` error was part of my additions to ` /VTOYEFI/grub/grub.cfg `. 
I removed them and all is good now. 
A Ventoy USB with a standalone Linux install, bootable from Ventoy's menu.