Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
 Persistent possible with Debian Live?
May please the following wiki: LiveUsbPersistence please be perused.

I have installed Ventoy on one of my HDDs. I then partitioned the rest space and can boot different ISOs from Ventoy. So far so good.

Could Ventoy be used to boot a Debian Live Persistent set up?

There are certain aspects in the said page that needs to be addressed. For example,
Quote:We can use:
  • FAT partition with boot flag,
  • ext4 partition with label persistence. The label "persistence" is mandatory.

I will have to ask the Wiki editors as to why a FAT partition with boot flag will be a necessity, or whether a FAT partition will be mandatory, or any other partition, like the ext4 partition will also do.

BTW, there is a detailed page in Unix & Linux Stack Exchange with the topic: How to create a Debian live USB with persistence? which is very complex to execute for non-programmers who use computers for purpose other than hard core programming.
Ventoy can boot from an ISO, so there is no need to extract files from the ISO.
Ventoy can support Live CDs with a persistence file.
See https://ventoy.net/en/plugin_persistence.html

So basically,
1. Copy the ISO file to the Ventoy drive
2. Extract a suitable .dat file from the zip file link in the article page according to what size you want. For debian you will need a persistence.conf version of the dat file. https://github.com/ventoy/backend/releas...images.zip
3. Copy the .dat file to the Ventoy drive
4. Configure Ventoy json file using Ventoyplugson web gui as shown
5. Boot to ventoy, select ISO, choose persistence file, use a menu option which is for Live persistence. If the grub2 debian boot menu inside the ISO does not include a menu entry for Live CD + persistence, then you will need to press 'e' key and edit the grub2 menu to include the correct key words to enable persistence and then press F10.