Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
 Linux Mint dat file persistence expansion resulted in continuous crashes
Hi,

I've successfully expanded the DAT file for the persistence of my Linux Mint distro. Before the expansion, everything was working correctly. I used the default caspar-rw 4GB DAT file provided by Ventoy, hosted on an 64GB USB stick. Note that all hardware remained the same in this whole issue.

To do the expansion, I used the "expansion script" provided by Ventoy, targeting the existing DAT file. The expansion took quite a while -- about 30 mins -- as I brought the DAT from 4GB to 24GB. It completed successfully, although I remember there was some warning about "unmatching sectors" or something like that, but then the script prompted me for a final verification, after which it returned a "success" message.

After the expansion, I can boot to Linux Mint, but it immediately crashes to Fallback mode. LM immediately asks if I want to restart the GUI, and if I do, it immediately crashes again to fallback mode. If I keep using fallback mode, I can see that the persistence seems to have retained all my data and programs, but I cannot access basic system settings and the experience is far from ideal.

What's the best course of action here? I don't have any important data in the persistence, so I would be ok with starting from scratch, but I do need a DAT larger than the default ones -- I only wonder if I won't end up in the same situation if I try again the expansion. Is there a way to recover the existing persistence DAT to a working state (I don't have time snapshots unfortunately)? What's the best way to start with a stable, large DAT file targeting Linux Mint?
What is your USB drive? Could it be a fake?
Start with largest DAT you can.
I doubt recovery is possible.
For the records, I tried shrinking down the existing DAT file with the same Ventoy script following the instructions (setting negative size).

During the shrink, I encountered some errors saying "wrong blocks number, Fix? [Y/n]" or something like that. I selected Y, and the operation succeeded. However, I then tried to boot Ventoy with that persistence file but Cinnamon kept crashing exactly like before.

Then, I made a new caspar-rw DAT file from scratch, using the CreatePersistentImg.sh script provided by Ventoy, with the size I wanted. This worked correctly (no crashes anymore).

Again, I'm highlighting that I used the same USB/hardware in this whole process. 
This proves that the DAT file that I tried to extend was corrupted after extension.
I think the issue was that when I extended the first DAT file, I did it by extending it directly on the external USB drive. I think there may have been some write errors during that -- what makes me think so is the following warning in the Ventoy documentation:

1. When creating the image file and copy to USB, take care about the buffer. (use sync to flush the data to the disk)

although this applies to the creation of a Dat file, it may well apply to the extension too. My USB stick could have been slow and perhaps writing happened incorrectly.