Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
 Huge delay connecting ventoy stick
Hello guys

for the most part ventoy did work very fine but there is a weird issue and I am unable to track it down further.  Huh

If I connect the stick to the computer I created it with the Ventoy volume takes a long time to appear and something USB related is delayed until it's there. For example I pulled the wire from my mic while it was "hanging" and it still showed as connected device until the USB drive was properly recognized. Also the Windows disk management hangs. It takes pretty much the same time every time - about a minute and then working fine as far I can see.

It's only happening to the Ventoy USB stick and only on my main computer. I tried it on a couple of other machines no problem.

I am getting the following events logged in event viewer after connecting the Ventoy stick.

17.04.2024 22:27:51 Der E/A-Vorgang an der logischen Blockadresse "0x773ad288" für den Datenträger "3" (PDO-Name: \Device\0000016c) wurde wiederholt.
17.04.2024 22:28:07 Ein Zurücksetzen auf Gerät "\Device\RaidPort11" wurde ausgegeben.
17.04.2024 22:28:07 Der E/A-Vorgang an der logischen Blockadresse "0x800" für den Datenträger "3" (PDO-Name: \Device\0000016c) wurde wiederholt.
17.04.2024 22:28:21 Das Zeitlimit (30000 ms) wurde beim Warten auf eine Transaktionsrückmeldung von Dienst WSearch erreicht.
17.04.2024 22:28:21 Das Zeitlimit (30000 ms) wurde beim Warten auf eine Transaktionsrückmeldung von Dienst Backupper Service erreicht.

after these it takes additional 20 seconds but then I can use it without a problem

Since I am using ventoy for a long time I cannot really tell when it was the first time. Also it sometimes does not happen. I have absolutely no idea how to troubleshoot further.

Ideas very much appreciated. Thank you  Blush

Lol I just found a clue. If I use the safe remove feature in Windows it seems to be fine at the next time. But I don't get these 2 things together. Caching is disabled for the USB sticks aswell. As far I know this was/is only needed if caching for the USB stick is enabled to prevent data loss
Try deleting all USB mass storage devices from the Windows Registry using NirSoft USBDeview utility.
Also try all different spare USB ports on the PC.
I did already uninstall every USB Device with USBDeview and also the Host Controller. I also tried different USB Ports. There is no difference.

But as I edited above I found a hint.

If I use the safe remove feature in Windows it seems to be fine at the next time. But I don't get these 2 things together. Caching is disabled for the USB sticks aswell. As far I know this was/is only needed if caching for the USB stick is enabled to prevent data loss.

I did not get this behavior once if using safe remove.
Try running sfc /scannow in admin shell
To fix any bad windows files maybe?
Or reinstall windows
I bought a new SSD and with it installed a fresh Windows 11 about a month ago - with Ventoy Smile I had this happening on Windows 10 already but never thought about troubleshooting it.