Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
 Ventoy is not bootable
Sad 
Hello, I've got a problem with booting Ventoy. My main partition is now unformatted.
I had many ISOs on my installation and now everything is gone.
What should I do to recover my Ventoy USB?
I think it was overwritten somehow by windows commands:
bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /rebuildbcd

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

remake the Ventoy drive and copy back on the ISOs
(11-27-2023, 08:40 AM)Steve2926 Wrote: remake the Ventoy drive and copy back on the ISOs

I want to recover it if possible, not recreate.
Try TestDisk utility (usually also contains photorec).
Choose Intel when prompted and let TestDisk scan USB drive.
You are looking for partition 1 of large size and ptn 2 of 32MB size exactly 65536 sectors to restore.
Then, if required, you can scan drive using photorec for known files (but it will be very slow and large files may only be partially recovered or corrupt).
https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details...torec.html
(11-26-2023, 08:50 PM)Driver Wrote: My main partition is now unformatted.

I had many ISOs on my installation and now everything is gone.
What should I do to recover my Ventoy USB?
I think it was overwritten somehow by windows commands:

bootrec /rebuildbcd

Nearly the same trouble for me: did repair a Win10-Bootloader error, with bcdboot (... /all) command. From a Ventoy stick with the Win10 - iso on it.
The Win10 boots again, but the Ventoy stick now just is read-only, no matter, with what I try to get access to the stick. (format, delete, attributes and so on).

Your partition, which is shown as unformatted, I reckon the isos are gone with.
There is an update option, alternativly - also there with at - the Ventoy installation. Which works well at little errors.
But unformatted is not a little thing.

I know a good recovery software from EaseUS, EaseUS-Data-Recovery or similar.
But I do not know, whether there is still the former 1 GB free recovery offer.
But I am also not sure, it can solve this trouble, with much luck, I think, You could get the isos back. But there I fear, it could be more and more than 1 GB all in all.
(11-27-2023, 08:43 AM)Driver Wrote:
(11-27-2023, 08:40 AM)Steve2926 Wrote: remake the Ventoy drive and copy back on the ISOs

I want to recover it if possible, not recreate.

File recovery always means to recover file(s) and to save it/them to an other place.
One cannot read (a file) and over-write (it, into ... over) the same file, never. Sorry.
But maybe it is as exception possible. Which is usually not to recommend. Because during write back could happen errors, then the origin files could be destroyed with.
(11-27-2023, 10:45 AM)Steve2926 Wrote: Then, if required, you can scan drive using photorec for known files (but it will be very slow and large files may only be partially recovered or corrupt).

All this Ventoy stick is to do easily again. (From archive.)

There is no need at all, to recover anything.
It is about, how to remove this unbootable, this read-only situation.

I now did try lots of tools and software, until very old Low Level Format (DOS Floppy-Disks) from Western Digital, because SanDisk is from them. Nothing helps.

But now bought a new stick. Did create the Ventoy again.
Then - accidentily - I could see with GParted, that - at least; first - one partition is marked as read-only, with a yellow exclamation mark. And depending on what You do further, for tests, also orange or red; always as sign to see for this read-only status.
And this here, without any boot-error - it is to boot, and further ISOs are to add -, despite this read-only ...

What I really do not need now, is many many explanations to that.

But to me now this just says: oh, Ventoy creates ´some kind´ of read-only.
And my - accidentily - using of (diskpart) bcdboot - accidentily using this parameter - ´/all´, did have this effect to the stick, that it is no more bootable, and this read-only no more to remove, on usual ways.
(The bcdboot command I had to use as last command, to repair boot error from a Win10 installaton, which now works again.
But with now knowing this, I would never use this all parameter or/and plug off just the stick, before running this command.
Or: too said, that this stick has no hardware-switch for write-protection ... )
If you are willing to pay a bit for recovery the best software according to Reddit's /r/datarecovery is either DMDE or R-Studio.

I found this out after doing a quickformat to a different filesystem type (exFAT over NTFS) and losing my data. Both DMDE and R-Studio saw all of my data, other popular tools you'd find by searching did not find the file structure and just had millions of scattered files.

After trying both I chose DMDE (On both software, you can download and scan for free and save the scan for later, then unlock the program instantly if you buy it and enter the code.)

DMDE: https://dmde.com/
R-Studio: https://www.r-studio.com/
/r/datarecovery on different software: https://www.reddit.com/r/datarecovery/wiki/software