Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED] boot.wim size limit
solved 
Heart As this is my first post on Ventoy forum I want to thank all of you who are responsible for Ventoy software and forum. Heart

I have tested the Ventoy software with success and am thrilled with the user-friendliness.
I use Ventoy to start PE-images in ISO file format.
I found out that it comes to an unexplained crash 0xc00000e9 as soon as the size of the boot.wim file exceeds a size of about 1024MiB.

According to the error description it is an unexpected I/O hardware error, but this can be ruled out with a high degree of certainty as the used boot-device is a harddrive.
If you reduce the size of the boot.wim file below 1024MiB the ISO boots successfully.
I use Ventoy v.1.0.38-windows.

Booting "Oversized" boot.wim sources succeed if the ISO is bootet without Ventoy boot manager / attached directly (e.g. in VirtualBox).

I read there is no limit to the ISO file for Ventoy, but is there a limit for the boot.wim file?

Best regards   T.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Please share me the iso file for test.
I did some testing today and found one single exception to the rule.
So I need to do some more investigations before you spend your precious time on a specific file.

Best regards   T.
Hello
I could reproduce this error with different Win10 ISOs (from v. 2016 to 20H2 in english / german language).
Just take any original install ISO file from the Microsoft download.
Copy the content to disk. (e.g. use copyPE command)
Add any file to the boot.wim to increase its size to ~1100MiB.
The install.wim can be deleted.
After recompiling the ISO file is no longer bootable from Ventoy (in UEFI mode), although it can boot from other media.
As said before, it is not the size of the ISO file but the size of the boot.wim file that is important.
This way everyone here on the forum can understand / repeat the process and draw their own conclusions.

Best Regards  T.
Still same problem with the latest 1.0.40?
Quote:Still same problem with the latest 1.0.40?

Unfortunately yes.
PE-ISO is not booting, neither from GPT nor from MBR style Ventoy disk. (1.0.40)
Blue screen, no error code. (as before)

Sorry for inconveniences.   T.
press ctrl+i and then select the ISO file to boot.
Or you can try to directly boot the wim file with https://www.ventoy.net/en/plugin_wimboot.html
Can you share me such a wim file for test?
Thumbs Up 
Smile   Thank you Longpanda for your fast response.  Smile

Quote:press ctrl+i and then select the ISO file to boot.

This made the ISO boot successfully.  Smile  Didn't know about the Hotkey.

Quote:Or you can try to directly boot the wim file with https://www.ventoy.net/en/plugin_wimboot.html

This was also successful.   Smile  Thanks for the hint.

Quote:Can you share me such a wim file for test?

I will try to write a script for you to produce this kind of wim-file and ISO.
Do you have any Windows ISO? What filename?

I apologize for the delay.   T.