Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best way to make a new VHD from a Windows 10 ISO
Midas, thank you for your ideas on this topic. And then thanks to Steve2926 of his idea of using a VHDX instead of a VHD. I gave that format a try today. But I still have no luck. The same error as described in the first post in step 4 shows up.

So no matter if I use a VHD or a VHDX-file the partitions look like "Disk 0" on this screenshot, that I found on the Internet:[Image: efi-system-partition.png]

I noticed that in the VHD-image created by Rufus basically
  • the partition "System Reserved 50 MB NTFS Primary Partition" at the beginning is missing, instead I have a 260 MB (in this screenshot 100 MB) EFI System Partition" there
  • the "505 MB Recovery Partition" at the end is missing.
That is interesting, although I don't know if that matters here. I would guess that it does matter, because the VirtualBox-approach does create a different layout that is working, as Midas has shown. By the way, the partition layout is the same at creation time and after the first boot. So Windows 10 does not create any additional partitions during its first boot process - at least not until the previously mentioned error shows up.

Interestingly, the Rufus-page mentions that Windows ISO is compatible with Ventoy: https://github.com/pbatard/rufus/wiki/FA...ot-support:
Quote:[...] or you might as well use Ventoy (which is most likely what you are looking for) or RMPrepUSB or Easy2Boot or YUMI as there already exist quite a few solutions to perform what you seek.

So I thought about another method, described at https://www.neowin.net/news/guide-how-to...using-vhds:

Using Ventoy I booted from the Windows ISO, pressed SHIFT + F10 at the setup screen and created a VHD with DISKPART-commands there on the fly. However, at some point of the installation process it shows me the exact same error as mentioned in the first post shown in step 4. I repeated the same approach using a VHDX, just to make sure. So even two approaches, one with Rufus, one using the DISKPART-commands of Windows cannot produce a new, bootable VHD or VHDX. I try to investigate further, any ideas are of course welcome.

Messages In This Thread
Best way to make a new VHD from a Windows 10 ISO - by romf - 12-24-2020, 12:49 PM