Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best way to make a new VHD from a Windows 10 ISO
You're great, thank you for your answers!

Steve2926, thank you for this idea with WinToUSB. That was basically my first tool that I used before I switched to Ventoy. WinToUSB's limitations of the free version are "Windows Home" only and it seems to be a fixed VHD, which is not the best for me. Copying the VHD from there to the Ventoy-partition is a clever idea, of course.

Midas, your setup seems to be the one that I have as well. With my old installation with just a plain Windows 10 on a hard disk like everybody else has, I used VirtualBox to create a new VHD from a Windows 10 ISO. Then I installed Ventoy on it wiping everything, reformatted the Ventoy-partition with NTFS and the put Windows VHD on it. Afterwards with the use of Windows VHD Boot Plugin I booted from the VHD - I am typing these lines inside one of my instances of the VHD. I love that setup!

So, now as I described I only have Ventoy on my disk and I start my main operating system Windows 10 from a VHD on the Ventoy partition. I thought I cannot use Virtual Box anymore. As far as I understood, one cannot use a Virtual Machine if the disk you are using is already a virtualized one (the one that Ventoy is booting my current Windows 10). But I gave it Midas' hint a try. So I tried the following:

1) Inside my running Windows-VHD I installed VirtualBox.
2) There I created a new Virtual Machine with a new VHD.
3) When VirtualBox booted the new Virtual Machine it asked for a boot device.
4) I provided the Windows 10 image, of course.
5) The install process nearly completed and after the installation of Windows it rebooted.
6) In the middle of rebooting it stated the error described in my first post in point 4.
7) If I restart the Virtual Machine the following error shows up: 
[Image: Fix-Windows-Could-Not-Complete-The-Installation.png]

So, again, I think I cannot create another bootable VHD when I am currently inside a VHD.
I guess I need a second physical hard disk or USB-Stick with a real operating system with Virtual Box on it in order to achieve what I am trying to do: creating a new VHD based on an ISO - as long as I cannot do that in my current operating system booted from a VHD. Smile

Messages In This Thread
Best way to make a new VHD from a Windows 10 ISO - by romf - 12-15-2020, 07:29 PM