Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
【Solved】How to mount ventoy partition ?
solved 
Hello,

I would like to mount (read-write) the ventoy partition from a live linux distribution that booted from ventoy. I tried 2 different versions but I have the same problem.

I type as root :
# mount -t auto -o rw /dev/sdb1 /mnt/newlycreatedmountpoint

It does not work. The message is : already mounted or mount point busy

The partition is not already mounted, of course, and the mount point has been created manually and is not busy.
Currently you can't mount /dev/sdb1 rw. Because a device mapper is created based on the ISO files in sdb1, and this will make /dev/sdb1 readonly and busy.
If you just want to write or save something into the USB you can wait for the next release.
In the next release, you can reserve some disk space when installing Ventoy. After that you can make /dev/sdb3 /dev/sdb4 with the reserved space and you can mount them as you want in the live system.
Thank you for your answer.

I have tried to resize the Ventoy partition, and create a new one; and it worked. It is not as flexible as to put everything in the same partition.
(06-24-2020, 11:41 AM)longpanda Wrote: Currently you can't mount /dev/sdb1 rw.  Because a device mapper is created based on the ISO files in sdb1, and this will make /dev/sdb1 readonly and busy.
If you just want to write or save something into the USB you can wait for the next release.
In the next release, you can reserve some disk space when installing Ventoy. After that you can make /dev/sdb3 /dev/sdb4 with the reserved space and you can mount them as you want in the live system.
This is something I asked in my other post, there is in fact some impediment for Ventoy (like redo a lot of code) not to mount the primary partition (from where the ISO is being read) as read-write and keep it busy so that it is not possible for the user to umount it? As I said, G2FM works like this and it works well
(06-24-2020, 12:59 PM)KaMyKaSii Wrote:
(06-24-2020, 11:41 AM)longpanda Wrote: Currently you can't mount /dev/sdb1 rw.  Because a device mapper is created based on the ISO files in sdb1, and this will make /dev/sdb1 readonly and busy.
This is something I asked in my other post, there is in fact some impediment for Ventoy (like redo a lot of code) not to mount the primary partition (from where the ISO is being read) as read-write and keep it busy so that it is not possible for the user to umount it? As I said, G2FM works like this and it works well

Ventoy is different from G2FM in internal mechanism, goals and usage scenarios.

For many distros like rhel/centos/arch/Fedora...   G2FM must and can only use partnew to boot them.
partnew is simple and useful but also has many limitations, for example:
1. The file must be contingous in the disk
2. The disk can NOT be write protected
3. The distos must accept the partition created by partnew
4. You can't create 4 partition in the disk (or partnew will fail)
Hello
You said "Currently you can't mount /dev/sdb1 rw. Because a device mapper is created based on the ISO files in sdb1, and this will make /dev/sdb1 readonly and busy."

Would I be stupid to say that it is abnormal to forbid me to write in a partition for the only reason that software has reserved two files for itself. Shouldn't there be a mount option like yes-i-know-that-i-am-doing ?

The idea would then be to open a software bug with the manufacturer

In principle, I would only be interested in mounting a read / write directory in bind technique!

Thinks.
In the future release, I will provide an option for read-only or rw.

If choose read-only (default is read-only), device-mapper will be used in the backend.
If you really need to write something into the partition 1 during install OS. you can choose rw,  then fuse will be used in the backend.

Device-mapper performs much better than fuse.

Besides, if you use exFAT or NTFS for partition 1, you must confirm that the disto you use can mount this partition.
Hello
I'm glad to know that in the future I could access the ISO partition in writing.

I plan a public directory and a private directory which will be protected by veracryt

I will no longer use the third partition !!!!

Thanks..

How do you mount /dev/sdb1 as read-only???
When I tried it said "already mounted or busy" and I can't access it
I'm able to mount sdb1 rw from within certain OSs. For example bgrescue http://www.giannone.ch/rescue/current/ seems to work.

Handy if you want to make a quick edit to the ventoy.json file, for example.