Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ventoy USB creates with Windows. Can I update with Linux version?
I have a Ventoy GPT USB stick where the BOOTISOS folder is on its 1st partition as an EXT2 (not ExFAT).

I used the option tab for GPT and SEcure Boot to create the USB. It was created using the v1.0.15, then the 1st partition was reformatted before adding all ISOs into the BOOTISOS folder.

Question: Since this was done via Windows, 
  • would it matter if I updated the USB via the Linux Ventoy version? 
  • AND, do the options need to be respecified or will the update feature notice the options that was used in creating the USB via Windows?
Thanks in advance and thanks, again, for the support you provided earlier with my questions and your FATDOG Linux validation.
P.S. I did explain before that I had added the SuperGRUB2 (SG2D) ISO to Ventoy that is created for Secureboot enabled. Using it allows any ISOs that uses GRUB2 with a loopback.cfg file to boot even though those ISOs are build to ONLY run on PCs with secureboot disabled. This includes Ubuntu derivatives, Puppy Linux distros created since January, 2020.
o   Steps:

1.      Boot the Ventoy USB
  2.      Select SuperGrub2 ISO
  3.      Hit the Enter keep allowing it to present all compliant ISOs it sees
  4.      Select an ISO to boot 
Smile Happy to learn how to ...
1. That's OK.  The USB drive was created by Windows's Version of Ventoy, you can also update it with Linux version of Ventoy. The reverse is the same.
2. GPT partition style will be kept after update, no need to set option.  But for Secure Boot Support you must use -s option in Linux version to update.
    That's    sh Ventoy2Disk.sh  -u -s /dev/sdb

Supergrub2 sounds good. 
But the secure boot solution in Ventoy need to be redesigned. It wil follow the original intention of secure boot.
Only boot those .efi loader with valid signatures.
(07-24-2020, 06:00 AM)longpanda Wrote: 1. That's OK.  The USB drive was created by Windows's Version of Ventoy, you can also update it with Linux version of Ventoy. The reverse is the same.
2. GPT partition style will be kept after update, no need to set option.  But for Secure Boot Support you must use -s option in Linux version to update.
    That's    sh Ventoy2Disk.sh  -u -s /dev/sdb

Supergrub2 sounds good. 
But the secure boot solution in Ventoy need to be redesigned. It wil follow the original intention of secure boot.
Only boot those .efi loader with valid signatures.
Thanks for your upgrade directive. That explains the Linux upgrade pathway. 
Question: If I use the Windows pathway, would I nave to re-enter the options tab for Secure Boot to be continued?

My SuperGRUB2 ISO solution is NOT a request for Ventoy to change. Its merely a way for using Secureboot enabled Ventoy to have an ISO which will Boot ISOs SG2D finds that are NOT secureboot enabled. The SG2D iISO provides a workaround and adds a dimension to Ventoy that others may not have discovered.

Thanks again for all the EXCELLENT work you do as well as the clarity of your answers
Yes, If you created the USB drive in Linux with -s option and now you want to update in Windows.
You need to check the Secure Boot Support option before you click the update button.

This is a bit unreasonable in fact. But fortunately, the upgrade operation is extremely simple and data nondestructive.
On the "carry-over" of Options, would a config file make any sense. (I'm sure you have already looked at that potential)

FYI (No response expected)