Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED] Ventoy and tools like CHIPSEC
solved 
Hi guys,
I like to know if it is possible to use tools like CHIPSEC with Ventoy? If the answer is "yes" - how can I add chipsec stuff to Ventoy usb and see the next booting option duing boot process?

Thank you.
(01-07-2022, 06:17 PM)maks Wrote: I like to know if it is possible to use tools like CHIPSEC with Ventoy?

https://github.com/chipsec/chipsec Wrote:Projects That Include CHIPSEC
  •     Linux UEFI Validation (LUV)
  •     ArchStrike
  •     BlackArch Linux

Please download and try to boot any of the above distros with a Ventoy formatted USB, then report back with your findings...
Idea When a post helps you in any way, please rate it. Thank you. [Image: rateit.png]
(01-07-2022, 07:43 PM)Midas Wrote:
(01-07-2022, 06:17 PM)maks Wrote: I like to know if it is possible to use tools like CHIPSEC with Ventoy?

https://github.com/chipsec/chipsec Wrote:Projects That Include CHIPSEC
  •     Linux UEFI Validation (LUV)
  •     ArchStrike
  •     BlackArch Linux

Please download and try to boot any of the above distros with a Ventoy formatted USB, then report back with your findings...

AFAIK CHIPSEC is working best in the pure uefi environment - without system (no matter if it is some linux distro.
LUV is no longer active. I can try both ArchStrike and BlackArch but I thought that I can put unzipped newest chipsec version on the usb drive and add it in some way to the boot menu - I do know if I describe it in the right way.
According to CHIPSEC  manual, you can extract the zip to an USB stick and UEFI boot it.
You can try to extract the zip and pack all the files into an .img file with this tool ---> https://github.com/ventoy/espack
After that, copy the .img file to Ventoy USB and boot the .img file by Ventoy.
@longpanda
According to the CHIPSEC manual I tried to create ESP img file with espack. So inside ESP folder (C:\espack-1.1\ESP) I have got:
Code:
- efi
  - boot
    - bootx64.efi (optional)
  - StdLib
    - lib
      - python36.8
        - [lots of python files and directories]
  - Tools
    - Python368.efi
- chipsec
  - chipsec
  - chipsec_main.py
  - chipsec_util.py

Then I run esp.bat script and after a while esp.img file is created. When I boot that file by Ventoy I can't use chipsec utilities because when type for example (as it is descibe in manual):
python368.efi chipsec_main.py
...nothing is happening. There is no reaction at all. No error messages, nothing. I tired to boot esp.img by Ventoy on the other laptop but still no luck.
Is there any chance to resolve the issue with CHIPSEC tools?
(01-08-2022, 11:38 AM)maks Wrote: @longpanda
According to the CHIPSEC manual I tried to create ESP img file with espack. So inside ESP folder (C:\espack-1.1\ESP) I have got:
Code:
- efi
  - boot
    - bootx64.efi (optional)
  - StdLib
    - lib
      - python36.8
        - [lots of python files and directories]
  - Tools
    - Python368.efi
- chipsec
  - chipsec
  - chipsec_main.py
  - chipsec_util.py

Then I run esp.bat script and after a while esp.img file is created. When I boot that file by Ventoy I can't use chipsec utilities because when type for example (as it is descibe in manual):
python368.efi chipsec_main.py
...nothing is happening. There is no reaction at all. No error messages, nothing. I tired to boot esp.img by Ventoy on the other laptop but still no luck.

Please give a screenshot.
I make a esp.img and boot with Ventoy in VMWare. It can work although with no PCH warning message.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

It looks like I need to wait few seconds and then CHIPSEC starts just fine. Thank you!