Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
 Windows 11 24H2 installer crashing from a ventoy USB
I have been dealing with Windows 11 24H2 since Sunday. On Sunday I decided to upgrade by downloading the update assistant and it worked fine up until I logged in and 30 seconds after it would blue screen. I figured it was a one off but the next login was the same. I tried safe mode and that ended the same way, stall and reboot. I decided after 2 days of fighting it, trying a repair, rollback, installing again to a empty drive and even installing back to 23H2 that I would have to pull everything and do a little testing on a brand new WD SN580 2TB drive. 

I ended up figuring out that the drive might have been part of the problem, the brand-new drive failed 24H2 installation as well, installed 23H2 and found that the drive needed a firmware update. Did the update and tried again and it failed again. At this point I just wanted a working computer, back to 23H2 and reinstalled all the hardware and I am currently rebuilding my computer.

But today I had an opportunity to study the situation a bit more. I am an IT guy, and I had a work computer that needed a brand-new install of Windows 11, so I tried my trusty Ventoy USB and tried installing 24H2 again. It failed. One of my coworkers said I should just try from a regular USB and so I used Rufus to create one with just Windows 11 24H2 on it. This worked flawlessly.

Is it possible that something about the 24H2 and Ventoy are not getting along?
For a friend, I install (from scratch) with my ventoy stick a French W11 24h2 without problem 2 days ago.

What's your config ?
If this helps you solve your problem.

My Ventoy flash drive (Sandisk Ultra 128Go):
Secureboot Off
MBR partition
Formatted in NTFS.

The (7 years old) Laptop :
Bios config:
“Legacy” mode
Secureboot off
Sata SSD:
NTFS format on MBR partition.
I downloaded the ISO directly from MS using themediacreationtool.exe, put the ISO for Win 11 24H2 on a Ventoy stick, I set it up with an autounattend.xml I generated from this tool: https://schneegans.de/windows/unattend-generator/ . I used the auto_install plugin on the plugson tools auto_install plugin included with Ventoy. I was shocked how fast it went on with barely any interaction and without the MS account being required. I did it twice just to make sure it was alright. It installed without fail. So, deploying it can work.

When you boot to the Windows ISO file are you booting it in the normal mode or memdisk mode? If memdisk, try the normal mode. Just for grins and giggles, setup an autounattend.xml file and tell the auto_install pllugin you want to use it with the ISO. When you boot to the stick, choose the ISO, then you are presented with a second menu asking if you want to use the XML or not, do so.

On the computer, try shutting off safeboot. You can turn it back on after the install is complete. If it is a Dell, or another brand that uses Intel RapidStore )RAID ON in Dell-speak), then turn it off and use plain AHCI - there is no benefit to using RapidStore when there is no raid array.
I have encountered unknown errors with Ventoy several times. Just tried to install Windows 11 24H2 on my Computer and got an installation error after checking the disks. The installation process can have unknown errors for other OSs as well such as Endeavor OS (Linux).

I reckon that Ventoy cannot be used with an aged USB flash drive. However, I believe Ventoy should be blamed because both using Media Creation Tool to install Windows and using Endeavor OS's official media creation tool to install Linux are successful.
Error in boot.wim of windows11 24h2.iso