Ventoy Forums
New User - I am a starting Dummy, with using powerful Ventoy - Printable Version

+- Ventoy Forums (https://forums.ventoy.net)
+-- Forum: Ventoy General Use —— Ventoy 使用交流 (https://forums.ventoy.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Ventoy Discussion Forum (https://forums.ventoy.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: New User - I am a starting Dummy, with using powerful Ventoy (/showthread.php?tid=376)

New User - I am a starting Dummy, with using powerful Ventoy - GCMartin - 07-15-2020

This utility has an Extremely attractive usefulness where I can boot this Boot Manager which presents ISOs it finds to user for selection. I have many questions for which the website is not geared for my ability to find answers.

So let me start by asking 3

1. Question #1: Does it matter if I use the Windows version created by Rufus or the Linux version to make the bootable USB?
  2. I currently have created a folder on the 1st partition named "boot-isos" and placed my preferred ISOs within the folder for selection. This works as at boot time, I see the ISOs Ventoy found withing the "boot-isos" folder. Question #2: If I want to move this folder to my main system HDD, what must be done so that Ventoy will find the ISOs there?
  3. One of my PCs is a modern 2016 vintage all in one PC. In its UEFI, Secure Boot is disabled. At boot-time, via the PC's boot device selector, I can boot the USB via the UEFI section or the Legacy section. But, for several of the ISOs, selecting and booting them gives VERY different results. Question #3: Is this something to do with Ventoy being booted from UEFI/Legacy OR is this something to do with the ISO itself?
These question may have been already addressed, but I am new and guidance is requested, please.

RE: New User - I am a starting Dummy with powerful Ventoy - longpanda - 07-16-2020

1. It doesn't matter
2. Ventoy only support ISO files in the same disk with it. ISO files in other disks are not supported.
3. Please give some detailed information (the exact ISO file name and the error message or photo)

RE: New User - I am a starting Dummy with powerful Ventoy - GCMartin - 07-16-2020

The PC is an All-in-One HP G020. The Ventoy used is recent version 15. The USB was created using Windows-Rufus and it is a MSDOS with 2 partitions. The 1st is ExFAT while the 2nd is FAT16. And, again, all ISOs are in a folder on the 1st partition...."boot-isos". Ventoy finds the ISOs contained in "boot-isos" and displays them in its opening screen for my selection.

I have had problems in Secure Boot with Ventoy, Are there instructions for entering its CER into the UEFI Post subsystem? (And yes, I know it works without doing such.)

The ISO for viewing the boot difference is FATDOG V810 ISOs, a Puppy Linux 64bit derivative. With this ISO, I observe differences in boot when booting and trying to enter its MOK into the Secure Boot UEFI. Unable to do so, it has issues booting without attempting to enter its CER. NEXT, disabling Secure Boot in UEFI, the boot behavior of the ISO is different. I am sure this can be duplicated on your end.

Also, I have tried to boot another Puppy Linux ISO; namely ScPup64 v20.06 and LxPupSC64 v20.06 ISO . These are of inportance because ALL 2020 Pups which will show up on distrowatch/sourceforge will have the same boot structure as these. Today, these 2 will not boot no matter which version of UEFI Ventoy is booted: Secure boot enabled/disabled.

Hope this info on these distros are helpful and that I am providing enough info to be helpful.

RE: New User - I am a starting Dummy with powerful Ventoy - renatofrota - 07-16-2020

Accordingly to https://puppylinux.com/arch.html:

Quote:UEFI and Puppy

At the time of writing, Puppy does not support UEFI. However, most Windows™ computers come with “legacy Bios” which you can enter to enable booting a Puppy boot media (optical or USB). Secure Boot must be turned off and you must make sure that the computer has fully shut down and not in a hibernated state.

Puppy does intend to support UEFI in the near future.

So whatever are the differences between Secure Boot on/off, it is not supposed to work under UEFI at all. Legacy/BIOS only is supported by Puppy Linux.

(07-16-2020, 07:41 PM)GCMartin Wrote: The ISO for viewing the boot difference is FATDOG V810 ISOs, a Puppy Linux 64bit derivative. With this ISO, I observe differences in boot when booting and trying to enter its MOK into the Secure Boot UEFI. Unable to do so, it has issues booting without attempting to enter its CER. NEXT, disabling Secure Boot in UEFI, the boot behavior of the ISO is different. I am sure this can be duplicated on your end.

Have you installed Ventoy to the USB following the instructions for Secure Boot compatibility (Options --> Secure Boot in Windows app or passing -s parameter in case of setup through Linux) and installed it's CER to the computer [ https://ventoy.net/en/doc_secure.html ] ?

RE: New User - I am a starting Dummy with powerful Ventoy - GCMartin - 07-19-2020

(07-16-2020, 08:22 PM)renatofrota Wrote: ... Options --> Secure Boot in Windows app ...
This is a follow-up. I did download and use Ventoy on a Win10 PC with the above option. The results were show in a different thread on this forum.

Thanks for this.