Ventoy Forums

Full Version: Unknown filesystem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have created an entry in ventoy_grub.cfg for booting void linux from /dev/sda6 on a Ventoy disk, but get an error msg:-

error: unknown filesystem.
error: you need to load the kernel first.

The same grub.cfg works fine when I try booting from a non-Ventoy disk.

Can someone explain what is going on and how to overcome this error?
I created an additional ext4 partition which I have no problems mounting when booting from another system, but Ventoy says 'unknown filesystem'.

What could be the problem?

A response would be gratefully received.
1. upload your ventoy_grub.cfg here
2. In Ventoy boot menu,  press c to enter grub shell  and  run ls -l and upload the result (picture) here
(10-12-2023, 09:29 AM)longpanda Wrote: [ -> ]1. upload your ventoy_grub.cfg here
2. In Ventoy boot menu,  press c to enter grub shell  and  run ls -l and upload the result (picture) here
Can I save the output to a file?

For partition 9 it says:-

Partition hd0,gpt9: No known filesystem detected -
Partition start at 223237120KiB - Total size 10485760KiB

This is actually a 10GB ext4 partition with exactly the same contents as partition 8 which boots without problem, and can be mounted normally from part 8 and everything looks fine.

I also have parts 10 and 11 and they boot fine.
(10-31-2023, 12:28 PM)balanga Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-12-2023, 09:29 AM)longpanda Wrote: [ -> ]1. upload your ventoy_grub.cfg here
Can I save the output to a file?

For partition 9 it says:-

Partition hd0,gpt9: No known filesystem detected -
Partition start at 223237120KiB - Total size 10485760KiB

This is actually a 10GB ext4 partition with exactly the same contents as partition 8 which boots without problem, and can be mounted normally from part 8 and everything looks fine.

I also have parts 10 and 11 and they boot fine.

I have just added another ext4 partition and formatted it but I can't boot from that one either. Ventoy shows 'No known filesystem detected'.

Is there any way to save the output from 'ls -l' ? I can't all the information on the screen, and it looks there is no 'more' or 'less' command available so can't see what has scrolled off the screen.

Any chance of a reply? I've patiently waited to solve this problem since July and it is now November.
Only ext4 file system has such problem?
Did you try ext2 ext3 xfs exfat ntfs file system on the same partition?