Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boot Windows 7 from VHD ?
Hello everyone,
i tried today to install Windows 7 in several ways into a VHD and start it with Ventoy.
I always tried to boot in BIOS mode, but no matter how I created the VHD I got a Bluescreen 07b at boot time.
I also tried to patch the registry to AHCI, but without success.
Did Windows 7 already run one of you ???
I would like to have it on the Ventoy Stick, then I don't need a local installation anymore. :-)
It may not be what you're after but booting Windows 7 from a VHD is easy -- and without using Ventoy or anything else...

For instructions, see this: https://johnpapa.net/bootoffmetal/
Idea When a post helps you in any way, please rate it. Thank you. [Image: rateit.png]
(09-30-2020, 01:06 PM)Midas Wrote: It may not be what you're after but booting Windows 7 from a VHD is easy -- and without using Ventoy or anything else...

For instructions, see this: https://johnpapa.net/bootoffmetal/
Installing Windows 7 into a VHD is easy, just like in the tutorial as linked by you.
But I want to boot the created VHD via Ventoy, and this is exactly my problem.
For this I would need a solution.
(09-30-2020, 07:15 PM)mat-industries Wrote: But I want to boot the created VHD via Ventoy, and this is exactly my problem. For this I would need a solution.

You mean you have a previously standalone Windows 7 VHD that won't boot with Ventoy, then?

FYI, I have been running 7 in VHDs non-stop since at least 2015, so I really need to look into this...
(10-01-2020, 12:19 PM)Midas Wrote:
(09-30-2020, 07:15 PM)mat-industries Wrote: But I want to boot the created VHD via Ventoy, and this is exactly my problem. For this I would need a solution.

You mean you have a previously standalone Windows 7 VHD that won't boot with Ventoy, then?

FYI, I have been running 7 in VHDs non-stop since at least 2015, so I really need to look into this...
Yes thats right, i have a standalone Windows 7 VHD, that won´t boot with Ventoy.
If you can figure out why, that would be great. Smile