Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Knoppix UEFI Boot
Has anyone succeeded in getting Knoppix to boot in UEFI mode? If so did you have to do anything special to get it to work? I have tried Knoppix 8.6 and 8.6.1, and it will not boot in UEFI on any computer I have tried it on. It only boots to a black screen with static (non-flashing cursor)
(08-07-2020, 03:09 PM)markm Wrote: Has anyone succeeded in getting Knoppix to boot in UEFI mode? If so did you have to do anything special to get it to work? I have tried Knoppix 8.6 and 8.6.1, and it will not boot in UEFI on any computer I have tried it on. It only boots to a black screen with static (non-flashing cursor)

Knoppix seems hard to boot.
IODD Mini cannot boot Knoppix 8.6 / 8.61 either.
In the list of tested ISOs, Knoppix was not tested on a real system.
I also have no success with vmware.
knoppix would probably be number one for ventoy due to its default software gparted and other useful stuff to fix problems. I did get persistence with knoppix using two usb but not using Ventoy.

I have last years KNOPPIX_V8.6.1-2019-10-14-EN.iso poking about it seems to be using legacy grub. I got it booted live with Ventoy with legacy mode enabled on my uefi laptop. But i can't get persistence to work so it not much use to me since i want it as a "swiss army knife" and want to install more software
(08-09-2020, 08:20 AM)Van Flusen Wrote:
(08-07-2020, 03:09 PM)markm Wrote: Has anyone succeeded in getting Knoppix to boot in UEFI mode? If so did you have to do anything special to get it to work? I have tried Knoppix 8.6 and 8.6.1, and it will not boot in UEFI on any computer I have tried it on. It only boots to a black screen with static (non-flashing cursor)

Knoppix seems hard to boot.
IODD Mini cannot boot Knoppix 8.6 / 8.61 either.
In the list of tested ISOs, Knoppix was not tested on a real system.
I also have no success with vmware.
Yeah I know it was only tested in QEMU, but when I 1st tried knoppix it was only listed as working legacy, then later showed as working in UEFI as well. Knoppix has worked with ventoy in legacy on every system I've tried it on, so I hoped eventually it would work in UEFI as well.

(08-14-2020, 07:07 PM)captain-sensible Wrote: knoppix would probably be number one for ventoy due to its default software gparted and other useful stuff to fix problems. I did get persistence with knoppix using two usb but not using Ventoy.

I have last years KNOPPIX_V8.6.1-2019-10-14-EN.iso poking about it seems to be using legacy grub. I got it booted live with Ventoy with legacy mode enabled on my uefi laptop. But i can't get persistence to work so it not much use to me since i want it as a "swiss army knife" and want to install more software
Well, Knoppix isn't good for installing extra software anyway, and they warn against even updating it because you might break stuff... but using on a regular thumb with an overlay partition for persistence was perfect for me, as I mostly just need persistence for scripts I make, or for programs that don't require installation And Knoppix supports secure boot. But, since I can't get persistence or UEFI mode with Ventoy, I've just switched to MX linux. Persistence works fine so I can install when I need, and it also comes with a lot of great tools out of the box.

But, I do keep my regular Knoppix thumb drive handy, as ventoy with secure boot enabled doesn't work on a lot of new machines and I've learned the hard way not to touch secure boot settings on machines with bitlocker enabled.