Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Does it support IMG files?
(06-16-2020, 01:20 AM)longpanda Wrote: BTW, what distributions only support img format (without ISO file)?

I think we will start to see a lot of bootable images to move away from providing ISO very soon, since USB is becoming the norm and a bunch of new PCs not even including CD/DVD drives.

Example:
Recent versions of memtest86 (they still have a ISO, but its "not supported")
(06-24-2020, 10:58 PM)copart Wrote:
(06-16-2020, 01:20 AM)longpanda Wrote: BTW, what distributions only support img format (without ISO file)?

I think we will start to see a lot of bootable images to move away from providing ISO very soon, since USB is becoming the norm and a bunch of new PCs not even including CD/DVD drives.

Example:
Recent versions of memtest86 (they still have a ISO, but its "not supported")
Moving from ISO to what IMG? I don't think so. We need bootable live support.
Most of the chromium OS images are packed as img or bin, because there are more than one partitions in it. You can use FydeOS as a reference.

FydeOS的功能特性可以说是目前ChromiumOS目前绝对的第一了,为数不多走在了世界前列的国内团队,个人非常期待后续发展。
(06-16-2020, 01:20 AM)longpanda Wrote: Currently NOT, but in my plan.

BTW, what distributions only support img format (without ISO file)?
or which img file you want to boot?

I want to add a grub menu like below to boot a Chrome OS .img created by the Brunch project to port Official Chrome OS to normal pc
The .img consists of a 27 partitions disk image which represent a real Chrome OS boot drive

https://github.com/sebanc/brunch

Code:
menuentry "ChromeOS (boot from disk image)" {
        img_part=/dev/sdb1
        img_path=/home/chromeos.img
        search --no-floppy --set=root --file $img_path
        loopback loop $img_path
        linux (loop,gpt7)/kernel boot=local noresume noswap loglevel=7 disablevmx=off \
                cros_secure cros_debug loop.max_part=16 img_part=$img_part img_path=$img_path
        initrd (loop,gpt7)/initramfs.img
}