Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Install Ventoy to HDD
(08-02-2020, 11:19 AM)Marcosh Wrote:
(05-19-2020, 09:47 AM)longpanda Wrote:
(05-18-2020, 02:31 PM)mtisat Wrote: Hi,

is there any chance to install Ventoy to HDD (SSD)? If possible in UEFI mode.

I have a Computer here, which is only for testing and Data-Recovery, so I use a bunch of Tools. It would be nice to do this from Hard-Drive and not from the USB-Pendrive.

Thanks for your help.

In Linux, you run  Ventoy2Disk.sh   -i  /dev/sdX   to install Ventoy, and the sdX is not limited to USB stick, it can be any disk (HDD, SSD ...)

Hello,

I have an External SSD 1TB USB 3.1

I did
    sudo sh Ventoy2Disk.sh -i -s /dev/sdd

Then as I cannot boot I tried
    sudo sh Ventoy2Disk.sh -u /dev/sdd

Both ended correctly but I fall on minimal grub prompt when I boot
I tried with a simple USB key 4GB and it work but cannot make it work on SSD (does 1 TB is too high ?)

I see second partition is fat16 using gparted but grub command ls (hd0,2)/ says unknown filesystem.
grub command ls (hd0,1)/ is Ok.

I see a difference on second partition between SSD and USB key (4 more files on USB key)
I put some screenshots fro more details in attached file.

Do you have an idea why it doesn't work, something I could do ?
Does 1 TB is too big and makes second partition too far ?

Thanks for your help.
Marco

Please refer to https://www.ventoy.net/en/doc_legacy_limit.html
Maybe something similar.
This is a question for both developers and users.

Should/shouldn't ALL UEFI PCs create "gpt" instead of MSDOS as well as address Secure Boot consideration. Then disc sizes become a irrelevant when a "proper" format is concerned for Ventoy presentation. 

Further, ExFAT is NOT a good solution for the 1st partition as all Linux distros do not, yet, have this as a format. Today, when an ISO is booted to desktop and the distro does not know of the format of that 1st partition this negates some actions a user would want. This is seen when one might want to use GParted to change 1st partition attributes.

Maybe time to step back and review how to make this use a little easier by simpler Ventoy builds. After all, the intent is merely to present ISOs for booting no matter which UEFI is going to run. Formats are important for BOTH Ventoy presentation at boot as well as what the OSes will see when booted to desktop.

FYI ONLY!!!
Smile Happy to learn how to ...
(08-02-2020, 12:19 PM)longpanda Wrote:
(08-02-2020, 11:19 AM)Marcosh Wrote:
(05-19-2020, 09:47 AM)longpanda Wrote:

I have a Computer here, which is only for testing and Data-Recovery, so I use a bunch of Tools. It would be nice to do this from Hard-Drive and not from the USB-Pendrive.

Thanks for your help.

In Linux, you run  Ventoy2Disk.sh   -i  /dev/sdX   to install Ventoy, and the sdX is not limited to USB stick, it can be any disk (HDD, SSD ...)

Hello,

I have an External SSD 1TB USB 3.1

I did
    sudo sh Ventoy2Disk.sh -i -s /dev/sdd

Then as I cannot boot I tried
    sudo sh Ventoy2Disk.sh -u /dev/sdd

Both ended correctly but I fall on minimal grub prompt when I boot
I tried with a simple USB key 4GB and it work but cannot make it work on SSD (does 1 TB is too high ?)

I see second partition is fat16 using gparted but grub command ls (hd0,2)/ says unknown filesystem.
grub command ls (hd0,1)/ is Ok.

I see a difference on second partition between SSD and USB key (4 more files on USB key)
I put some screenshots fro more details in attached file.

Do you have an idea why it doesn't work, something I could do ?
Does 1 TB is too big and makes second partition too far ?

Thanks for your help.
Marco

Please refer to https://www.ventoy.net/en/doc_legacy_limit.html
Maybe something similar.

Oh yes right, my problem seems to be exactly same as the one described at the link you provided and workaround work fine. I now can see Ventoy menu and boot.
Thank you very much Smile 
Use -g with Ventoy2Disk.sh to install using GPT, so it would be:

Code:
sudo sh Ventoy2Disk.sh -i -s -g /dev/sdd

Thanks for your help.
Does your hard drive currently contain data?