Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
 Why is it Ventoy is so particular about it's VTOUEFI Partition?
I created a Ventoy USB stick, worked great, I needed more room on the VENTOY 1st partition for more ISO files, so I used MiniTool Partition Wizard to shrink a 3rd partition I had after the EFI partition, move the VTOYEFI and increase the size of the VENTOY partition.

Attempting to boot to it threw an error that is was not a standard Ventoy installation and it failed. It was a simple enough fix, I simply deleted the VTOYEFI partition (I used MiniTool again) and then did a Non Destructive Install using the Ventoy2Disk.exe. After this it worked again. 

Why is Ventoy so picky about moving the EFI partition? I've moved around an EFI partition for other boot tools, like AGFM / Easy3Boot without issue.  I also notice that you can't increase the size of the EFI partition either.

Curious as to why this is like this.
Yes.
The partition layout is part of Ventoy core solution.
Ventoy partition layout check is very strict. You can not adjust partition layout manually.

If you want to adjust the partition layout, you can do as follows:
1. delete VTOYEFI partition.
2. Adjust other partitions as you want. Only that you need to leave at least 32MB free space after the 1st Ventoy partition.
3. Use Ventoy non-destructive Installation
https://www.ventoy.net/en/doc_non_destructive.html
(03-20-2023, 12:21 PM)longpanda Wrote: Yes.
The partition layout is part of Ventoy core solution.
Ventoy partition layout check is very strict. You can not adjust partition layout manually.

If you want to adjust the partition layout, you can do as follows:
1. delete VTOYEFI partition.
2. Adjust other partitions as you want. Only that you need to leave at least 32MB free space after the 1st Ventoy partition.
3. Use Ventoy non-destructive Installation
https://www.ventoy.net/en/doc_non_destructive.html

Thanks for the explanation.  Can you comment on WHY this is so with more detail?  I know other apps and even Windows EFI boot partitions are not as sensitive.  I know that Easy2Boot supplies a modified version of Ventoy and is not sensitive to this, so it appears it is not strictly necessary.
It's mainly for easy code implement. (e.g. Version Check/Update/Recovery).
For example, Ventoy provide a 32MB disk.img, when update/recovery, we just need to write the 32MB img to the 32MB VTOYEFI partition sector by sector.

Ventoy provide installer program for both Windows platform and Linux platform, so it's important to make the install/update/recovery easy to implement on both platform.