Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
 Ventoy does not work on Seagate 4TB HDD - Solved
Hi:
First of all thank you for this great program that I use regularly for my USBs.

I bought this model of 4TB external HDD: "USB vendor: Seagate model: Expansion HDD: size: 3.64 TiB block-size: physical: 4096 B logical: 512 B type: N/A serial: rev: 1901 scheme: GPT".

I did the installation of Ventoy in GTP, since in MBR it tells me that it can only be done in 2TB, but although the installation and partitions are done correctly, I have tried both in Linux and Windows, Ventoy does not work in this 4TB disk, it does not boot when starting the PC, it does not show anything from Ventoy boot, is there any way to make it work in this disk?

Thanks

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Ventoy Disk Layout In GPT
https://www.ventoy.net/en/doc_disk_layout_gpt.html

Pls,read this article
(02-03-2023, 09:22 AM)Senpai Wrote: Hi:

I bought this model of 4TB external HDD: "USB vendor: Seagate model: Expansion HDD: size: 3.64 TiB block-size: physical: 4096 B logical: 512 B type: N/A serial: rev: 1901 scheme: GPT".

I did the installation of Ventoy in GTP, since in MBR it tells me that it can only be done in 2TB, but although the installation and partitions are done correctly, I have tried both in Linux and Windows, Ventoy does not work in this 4TB disk, it does not boot when starting the PC, it does not show anything from Ventoy boot, is there any way to make it work in this disk?

Thanks

Firstly use other tools (e.g. Rufus) to make a bootable HDD with some ISO file.
Then test it in your computer.
If it still can not boot, then it is not Ventoy problem.
If it can boot OK, then it is Ventoy problem.

Try it.
(02-03-2023, 12:09 PM)longpanda Wrote:
(02-03-2023, 09:22 AM)Senpai Wrote: Hi:

Thanks

Firstly use other tools (e.g. Rufus) to make a bootable HDD with some ISO file.
Then test it in your computer.
If it still can not boot, then it is not Ventoy problem.
If it can boot OK, then it is Ventoy problem.

Try it.

Hi:
I have Ventoy running on several USB 32, 64 and 128 GB, also on a 2.5" 130 GB external disk partitioned in GPT and they all work fine for me, when I install it on the 4TB disk the Ventoy installation tells me that everything is fine, but it does not work.... I press F12 to choose to boot from USB in my Bios, but it does not show the Ventoy Grub, just the black screen and jumps to my PC Grub.
Thanks

(02-03-2023, 09:54 AM)crasadure Wrote: Ventoy Disk Layout In GPT
https://www.ventoy.net/en/doc_disk_layout_gpt.html

Pls,read this article
Hi:
I have reviewed the article but I don't see or understand what is wrong? The Ventoy installation tells me that everything is OK, it creates the 2 partitions (EFI and esFAT) even the reserved space, but the Ventoy Grub does not boot?
What is wrong?

In the article it says a part that I don't understand, If I choose "GPT" it doesn't make any 1MB "MBR" partition, how do I do this,
"About First 1MB Space
As for GPT format, there is a protect MBR in the 1st sector (LBA0), and then from LBA1 ~ LBA33 is the GPT partition head and partition table. LBA34 ~ LBA2047 is used to store legacy bios bootloader of Ventoy (same with MBR format)
"

I attach pictures of the result

Thanks                    
Legacy BIOS Access Range Limitation
https://www.ventoy.net/en/doc_legacy_limit.html
Pls check this article sir,

Solutions:
Workaround 1 (Recommend)

You can preserve some space at the end of the disk. We can make use of this feature, to preserve some space at the end of the disk and to "extrusion" Ventoy's part1 and part2 within the BIOS's access range. Take a 256GB USB drive for example, if the BIOS access limitation is 137GB, we can preserve 150GB space when install Ventoy. So the part1 and part2 of Ventoy will be at the first 106GB space and will not trigger the BIOS's limitation. Please refer Notes for detailed information of the feature.

Workaround 2Reformat the 1st partition manually (NTFS/exFAT ...)

To make sure that the file in step 2 will be saved within the BIOS access range.

Copy ventoy.disk.img.xz to the 1st partition

Get ventoy.disk.img.xz from the install package (under ventoy directory). Create a ventoy directory in the 1st partition and copy ventoy.disk.img.xz into it.

That's /ventoy/ventoy.disk.img.xz in the 1st partition.

Notes For Workaround 2

It should be noted that, this is just a workaround. There is no software solution for the BIOS limitation. If all the ISO files are within the valid range, there will be no problem. But if you put many many ISO files to the USB disk and some of them will be out of the range. For these ISO files, BIOS can't read them and there will definitely be problems when boot them.

Extra benefits for workaround 2
Just for Legacy BIOS mode, although workaround 2 is used for the limitation of the BIOS, but it can also be used to avoid the situation where the data of the 2nd partition is damaged. Because the workaround proces is to get data from the file mentioned above when failed to access the 2nd partition. The access failure may be due to the limitation of the BIOS, or the file may be damaged.

Questions:
1.What is your motherboard brand/model?
2.What is your motherboard bios version?
3.İs it support 4tb external hard drive?
4.İs your motherboard support Uefi?
[quote pid='6763' dateline='1675485789']
Questions:

[/quote]
Hi:
I will do these tests you tell me and comment.

My board is, "Gigabyte 970A-DS3P" and is "UEFI - American Megatrends version FD, date: 02/26/2016", if it supports external disks of more than 4TB, with the factory partitions that it brought from Seagate, it worked correctly.

Even now I see and can copy data to the exFAT partition normally, but Ventoy boot does not work even though when installing it says everything is fine.

Thanks
(02-04-2023, 04:43 AM)crasadure Wrote: Legacy BIOS Access Range Limitation
https://www.ventoy.net/en/doc_legacy_limit.html
Pls check this article sir,

Solutions:
Workaround 1 (Recommend)

You can preserve some space at the end of the disk. We can make use of this feature, to preserve some space at the end of the disk and to "extrusion" Ventoy's part1 and part2 within the BIOS's access range. Take a 256GB USB drive for example, if the BIOS access limitation is 137GB, we can preserve 150GB space when install Ventoy. So the part1 and part2 of Ventoy will be at the first 106GB space and will not trigger the BIOS's limitation. Please refer Notes for detailed information of the feature.

Workaround 2Reformat the 1st partition manually (NTFS/exFAT ...)

To make sure that the file in step 2 will be saved within the BIOS access range.

Copy ventoy.disk.img.xz to the 1st partition

Get ventoy.disk.img.xz from the install package (under ventoy directory). Create a ventoy directory in the 1st partition and copy ventoy.disk.img.xz into it.

That's /ventoy/ventoy.disk.img.xz in the 1st partition.

Notes For Workaround 2

It should be noted that, this is just a workaround. There is no software solution for the BIOS limitation. If all the ISO files are within the valid range, there will be no problem. But if you put many many ISO files to the USB disk and some of them will be out of the range. For these ISO files, BIOS can't read them and there will definitely be problems when boot them.

Extra benefits for workaround 2
Just for Legacy BIOS mode, although workaround 2 is used for the limitation of the BIOS, but it can also be used to avoid the situation where the data of the 2nd partition is damaged. Because the workaround proces is to get data from the file mentioned above when failed to access the 2nd partition. The access failure may be due to the limitation of the BIOS, or the file may be damaged.

Questions:

Hi:

I have already managed to run Ventoy on my 4TB Seagate disk, I have used solution 1, I have created a free space of 3.9 TB and the rest about 80GB I have used for the 2 partitions of Ventoy in GTP mode, and starts the Ventoy Grub and I see the installation and recovery ISOs I have in the Ventoy partition and the rest until the 4TB is for copies on the external disk .
Thank you very much for your help, it cost me a little bit to understand it because of the language problem, but that's it Smile Heart

I mark the thread as "Solved"

P.S.: Angry
ISOs are seen, but with my 2016 motherboard (Gigabyte 970A-DS3P) some ISOs do not boot, almost all Linux ISOs or created with Linux systems, Windows ISOs do boot....
On the other hand a more modern motherboard like the one in my laptop (Lenovo IdeaPad 3 15ALC6) they all boot without problems.