Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vtoy_Boot Vdisk Mount point
I'm using vtoy_boot (Linux vdisk boot) plugin to boot to MX Linux from my drive. I wanted to ask where does the plugin mount the partition within the linux where the vdisk (vhd) file resides.

For ex. My vhd is in the first partition of the disk. When I boot to it I can access the rest of the partitions but the first one is never accessible. It cannot be mounted, but I reckon that it must be mounted somewhere to let ventoy boot from it.  I need to access the partition regardless. 

Same thing happens with booting Linux ISOs from a disk partition. When I do that I cannot access that partition anymore.
You need to set the VTOY_LINUX_REMOUNT option in global control plugin.
https://www.ventoy.net/en/plugin_control.html
(06-19-2022, 01:10 AM)longpanda Wrote: You need to set the VTOY_LINUX_REMOUNT option in global control plugin.
https://www.ventoy.net/en/plugin_control.html
This works for Linux ISOs only or for vdisks too?
How should I go about doing the same in case it works with the vtoyboot (Linux vdisk) plugin and I am using the chainloader alongside, booting from grub2 using the vdiskchain?
This works for both linux ISO and vdisk.
But the global control plugin only take affect when you boot vdisk file by Ventoy.
If you use vdiskchain, you can add VTOY_LINUX_REMOUNT=1  kernel command line in the OS inside the vdisk file.

These are the steps for fedora (other distros should be similar)
1. edit /etc/default/grub  add VTOY_LINUX_REMOUNT=1 to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX 
2. run  grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg  in the teminal.
@longpanda
Oh, one more thing. Say in case I want to mount the drive at startup (potentially before/during Linux boots) what can I do?
Use case is to make a swap file outside of the vhd to give it more swap storage without increasing the size of the vdisk file.

I had made the vdisk file within virtual box with 2GB Ram only, but I have 8 gigs. Not sure if the 1.5 GB of swap it made within the virtual disk will be enough. Also wanted to know whether making a swap file outside of the vdisk file will actually work or not?