Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't Get There From Here
(04-30-2022, 05:07 AM)longpanda Wrote: This is a limitation of Windows itself.  You can not install Windows 7 on an USB stick. So there's nothing Ventoy can do.
There is no differenct no matter you install linux to HDD or to USB. But for Windows, there always be many limitations.

Ok, thank you.
It looks like I need to find the old Windows-based Lexar tool, BootIt aka USB Format that can change the Removable Bit in the micro-controller inside a flash drive.  This tool apparently only worked for certain flash drives (that probably all used the same micro-controller) and would brick flash drives that it didn't work on.  So there's a small risk of losing the flash drive.  It's equivalent to flashing a BIOS only you're changing the micro-controller firmware inside the flash drive itself.  Why this works for installing Windows on a USB flash drive is because it causes Windows to think that the USB flash drive is a fixed local disk instead of a removeable drive.  This allows Windows Setup to use the USB flash drive (marked as a fixed local disk) as a installation drive target.  So for me, I'm going to have to borrow a Windows machine to see if I can flip the Removeable Bit in this PNY USB flash drive I bought.  Then if that works hopefully I can get Windows to install itself onto it.

Messages In This Thread
Can't Get There From Here - by greno - 04-28-2022, 06:40 PM
RE: Can't Get There From Here - by longpanda - 04-29-2022, 01:27 AM
RE: Can't Get There From Here - by greno - 04-29-2022, 04:53 PM
RE: Can't Get There From Here - by greno - 04-29-2022, 06:42 PM
RE: Can't Get There From Here - by longpanda - 04-30-2022, 12:24 AM
RE: Can't Get There From Here - by greno - 04-30-2022, 01:31 AM
RE: Can't Get There From Here - by longpanda - 04-30-2022, 05:07 AM
RE: Can't Get There From Here - by greno - 04-30-2022, 02:00 PM