Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Performance issues with persistence
I have setup a ubuntu 20.04(lts) iso with 4gb of casper-rw persistence, when load with persistence, it takes 3x the time to load and works about 1/3rd the speed, firefox lags and a geekbench score is less than half the score. Is there any way to prevent this from happening?
Ventoy just mount the persistence dat file to the system and that's all.
We need to ask ubuntu that why you are so slow with persistence.

Maybe your USB disk is in lower speed. You can use a SSD USB disk with high performance as a comparison.
I don't really mind the starting time, i am using a usb 3.0 stick. Any way to fix the performance issues tho? That makes it unusable for me
I have no idea about the problem and it is OK in my computer and USB stick.
The time is almost the same when I boot ubuntu with/without persistence.
You can use persistence like follows:
1. When you install Ventoy, reserve some space at the end of the USB disk (e.g. 8GB)
https://www.ventoy.net/en/doc_disk_layou...erve_space
2. After install Ventoy, create partition 3 with the reserved space and format it in ext4/xfs filesystem and set its label to  casper-rw
3. Boot ubuntu without persistence from Ventoy, then ubuntu will auto use the partition 3 as persistence.
Is that recommended over using the persistence plugin? I have been using that, and don't want to reinstall ventoy if possible
Some USB 3 sticks are very slow on random writes - even very 'fast' ones.
Can you run a benchmark on your usb stick (e.g. Crystal DiskMark) - what are random 4k rd/wr times?
e.g. Lexar Jumpdrive LJDP20-128Gb is a very fast USB 3 drive for synchronous transfers (400MB/s), but the 4k random rd/wr times are terrible and it is very slow when used as wintogo or full OS or persistence!
(11-04-2021, 09:38 AM)kavinplays Wrote: Is that recommended over using the persistence plugin? I have been using that, and don't want to reinstall ventoy if possible
It's just a comparison test to see whether in this way it is still very slow.
I see, thanks for the help, i am gonna clock out for the day, will try the way longpanda suggested on a new drive and do crystal diskmark test tomorrow.
dear longpanda, does this method also work for linuxmint [ also based on ubuntu ] ?
---  ----  EDIT:  [ A: it does work with linuxmint too ; ] ---- ----

in addition ... how about adding a new partition [ rather shrinking a windows SSD drive existing partition and then creating a new one and reserve it with unallocated space ] ;  bootstrap ventoy and then " linux live distro " [ .iso image ] and finally launch  " gparted " to then format and label that reserved partition we created ? [ label :  casper-rw ]
can we still bootstrap ventoy then select  a .iso image  [ " linux live distro " ] and while making use of such SSD drive partition [  casper-rw ] to work with a persistent session  ?
EDIT: [ A: that won't work ; although casper-rw labelled partition is mounted upon each system startup , preferences and configuration settings won't be retained ]

marc

Quote:longpanda 
You can use persistence like follows:
1. When you install Ventoy, reserve some space at the end of the USB disk (e.g. 8GB)
https://www.ventoy.net/en/doc_disk_layou...erve_space
2. After install Ventoy, create partition 3 with the reserved space and format it in ext4/xfs filesystem and set its label to  casper-rw
3. Boot ubuntu without persistence from Ventoy, then ubuntu will auto use the partition 3 as persistence.