Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problems booting VDisk on UEFI-only notebook
Hi!

First, thanks a lot for developing this innovative USB boot tool.

My goal is to create a bootable USB drive with a customized Ubuntu Linux 20.04 based on VirtualBox images. It shall work on a (quite recent) Notebook
model called Tongfang GM7NG0R (https://noteb.com/?model/model.php?conf=...299&ex=USD). It is the first notebook I have which has no legacy boot support (so UEFI only, but secure boot is disabled).

What I did: I downloaded the Ubuntu ISO (ubuntu-20.04.3-desktop-amd64.iso) and installed it into a fixed-size VDI image as described on the "Linux vDisk Boot Plugin" page. EFI mode has been activated before installation, and the most recent vtoyboot script run. When I boot the USB and select the *.vdi.vtoy image, I see a short black screen and then the system immediately restarts. However, booting the exact same image (on the same USB drive) works fine on other Legacy Boot notebooks, and also on one other UEFI boot machine. Interestingly, on the "problematic" Tonfgang notebook, it is possible to boot the original Ubuntu ISO file using Ventoy.

What could I do to "debug" or resolve the issue? Any help to boot a vDisk on this notebook would be appreciated.
Maybe the same as https://github.com/ventoy/vtoyboot/issues/19
Thank you for the pointer. It looks like the same problem. I tried replacing the efi file as described there. Unfortunately, it did not help. The system still says "Reset System" and reboots immediately.
I have the same issue with any Ubuntu based distro (Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Mint)
(03-28-2022, 01:24 AM)trymeout Wrote: I have the same issue with any Ubuntu based distro (Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Mint)

Did you use the latest vtoyboot-1.0.20 ?
(03-28-2022, 01:46 AM)longpanda Wrote:
(03-28-2022, 01:24 AM)trymeout Wrote: I have the same issue with any Ubuntu based distro (Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Mint)

Did you use the latest vtoyboot-1.0.20 ?

Did not see there was an update recently, and 1.0.20 work on Linux Mint!