Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ventoy doesn't work on older CPUs
I tried booting a functional Ventoy USB stick on a Pentium M but it won't boot.

It gets stuck at

Code:
VT

while it should show

Code:
VTloading...

and then progress to display Ventoy's list of ISOs.

I assume this is because of missing flags in older CPUs.

In contrasts, Easy2Boot boots perfectly fine on such old machines.

Can Ventoy be made compatible with them? I would like to replace E2B for good.
Faced a similar problem.
But first, I want to express my respect and gratitude to Longpanda for an excellent software product! 
At the same time, I faced the difficulty of launching Ventoy LiveCD on an Asus F3Jc laptop - a photo of the BIOS is attached:

Then the launch is successful in x86 Legacy BIOS mode - a window for choosing startup options opens - GNU GRUB v. 2.04, after selecting, regardless of normal or debug mode, a blinking cursor appears in the upper left corner on a black screen and after that, nothing else happens.
According to the Ventoy LiveCD Instructions section, I tried two methods of writing a USB flash drive (method 3 using VMware in my case will not work).

- Maybe this is natural due to the old release date of this laptop?
- If so, from what year of release should such freezes not occur?
- Are there any options to overcome this problem on this laptop?
From testing on some old PC's, I encountered the same issue.
Relatively old processors are not supported.
I tested laptops with T-type pentiums, and also an MSI G31 board with Celeron E3300.
None of these would boot Ventoy, with the same error: "VT" and then hangs.

It's really sad, because Ventoy only boots on modern hardware.
I hope it can be made compatible, it's not fun having to carry around several USB drives.

Cheers.
(08-04-2021, 02:55 AM)Escorpiom Wrote: From testing on some old PC's, I encountered the same issue.
Relatively old processors are not supported.
I tested laptops with T-type pentiums, and also an MSI G31 board with Celeron E3300.
None of these would boot Ventoy, with the same error: "VT" and then hangs.

It's really sad, because Ventoy only boots on modern hardware.
I hope it can be made compatible, it's not fun having to carry around several USB drives.

Cheers.
Perhaps, it may not be true that Ventoy boots only in modern hardware.  Yes, it may be true that USB booting may not be supported in some old hardware as BIOS is not configured in that manner and hardware support also.  But we can make USB boot by using PLoP Boot Manager application.  Almost we can boot any ISO mentioned in the Ventoy site. Blush
cvvdprao Wrote:... we can make USB boot by using PLoP Boot Manager application.

Some simple guidance on how to do this would be appreciated... Idea
Idea When a post helps you in any way, please rate it. Thank you. [Image: rateit.png]