Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ThinkPad T60 support
Hello,

Thank you for sharing Ventoy! And for writing such nice documentation! It is really appreciated! I have become very excited about using this tool!

Unfortunately, my first attempts recently did not go well. I have a ThinkPad T60, updated to latest BIOS (v2.27) but it does not seem to recognize the USB stick as bootable.

Ventoy is not the only software I have had trouble with, in fact I made a lengthy post at ThinkPad Forums about Booting T60 from USB. The only thing that seems to work for me is Debian Live CD, which apparently use ISOLINUX (more specifically Isohybrid).

I am very willing to test, help diagnose, etc. on my hardware, as this is something that has been bothering me for a long time now.

Alternatively, any hints where else I could research some solution would be greatly appreciated.

I hope you are enjoying your Spring Festival!

EDIT: I think this hardware is old enough that is does not support EFI whatsoever (at least there are no options in BIOS that I can see). Just old school BIOS/GPT boot. Maybe this is the problem?

I did play with some partition boot flags, of course that did not work. Not sure what else to try.
I just tried this (remove EFI dir) but that did not work. I even tried all combinations of boot flags on both partitions.

Still studying the forums.
(02-19-2021, 05:08 PM)TRS-80 Wrote: I just tried this (remove EFI dir) but that did not work.  I even tried all combinations of boot flags on both partitions.

Still studying the forums.

have you tried to use another usb flash drive? it seems that t60 does not recognize all usb flash as bootable:
https://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=118629

h
ave you tried another method to create your bootable?
rufus for example, or ultraiso for Strelec, or yumi
have you tried to change the usb port to connect usb flash?
Found a fellow ThinkPadder with legacy MBR BIOS (although W500) here who said v1.0.23 or lower worked for him. I tried 1.0.23 just now, but that did not work for me, either.

I tried few other things in the meantime, too, like swapping location of USB key, removing HDD, etc. that I found in forums, none of these things seemed to help.

I guess I keep trying...

(02-19-2021, 05:38 PM)lucdeluc1 Wrote: have you tried to use another usb flash drive? it seems that t60 does not recognize all usb flash as bootable: T61 - USB Flash Drive Not Recognized

Thank you for reply.

I tried just now with a different USB stick (some cheap red one from Micro Center). Same result (did not work). I don't think I have any other kinds (only these 2 kinds) around here, but I will look some more.

The information is buried in my long thread at ThinkPad forums, but these other USB stick I prefer to use (Kingston DataTraveller DTSE9) are recognized, but only when I put a Debian Live CD on them (which uses Isohybrid). I cannot seem to get anything else to work. I am not sure if that means the USB stick should be OK, or not.

Also, T61 is different chipset from T60 (which may or may not matter).

(02-19-2021, 05:38 PM)lucdeluc1 Wrote: Have you tried another method to create your bootable?
rufus for example, or ultraiso for Strelec, or yumi
have you tried to change the usb port to connect usb flash?

I do not have Windows environment easily available to me. I prefer (by far) to stick with GNU/Linux anyway. But maybe I should try something else, even if just for troubleshooting purposes.

I did try different physical USB ports (as mentioned in previous post, looks like we were cross posting near same time Smile ).
I for one, am interested in your findings, TRS-80 -- I have a decommissioned T61 and currently use an X220, which although it boots everything I throw at it, is not without its woes...
Idea When a post helps you in any way, please rate it. Thank you. [Image: rateit.png]