Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BionicPup64 8.0 [Tested]
I tested live BionicPup64 8.0 (based on Puppy Linux) on Ventoy-1.0.34.
ISO: bionicpup64-8.0-uefi.iso (354MB)
Download (32/64): download
Boot: Legacy/MBR, UEFI64
Platform: Lenovo Z51-70 Intel i5-5200U, Acer Aspire 1 A114-32 Intel N4000 (UEFI)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hi dickw and eveybody. I tried BionicPup64 8.0 too. It starts and works well, but I'm disappointed because I can't succeed about persistence. I have readen the " 【Solved】persistence difficulty" forum with many advices. My ventoy.jso file seems now OK, the places where i put everything too. Yesterday Perseverance landet on mars but always no result with persitence and any distro.
My mothercard is a GA-H81M-DS2 model from Gigabyte. I'm french and not easy about english speaking, and I'm a very newby in this forum. I don't know if this is the right place. I don't want to give up because I appréciate Puppy distros long time ago very much. Many thanks to all the team for all this great work with ventoy
@page { size: 8.5in 11in; margin: 0.79in } p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 115%; background: transparent }

Hi again

Some additional elements:

I use the last ventoy version : 1.035

The first partition contains the iso files and the ventoy directory

Checked using F5 the ventoy.Json file joined to this message, only got many OK and SUCCESS
Quitting bionic pup, it never asks the size to give to the savefile.

Code:
{
  "persistence": [
    {
      "image": "/ISO/bionicpup64-8-0-uefi.iso",
      "backend": [
        "/persistence.dat",
        "/persistence_ext4_1GB_casper-rw.dat",
        "/persistence_ext4_1GB_persistence.dat",
        "/persistence_xfs_1GB_casper-rw.dat",
        "/persistence_xfs_1GB_persistence.dat"
      ]
    },
    {
      "image": "/ISO/linuxmint-20.1-cinnamon-64bit.iso",
        "/persistence.dat",
      ]
    },
    {
      "image": "/ISO/fossapup64-9.5.iso",
        "/persistence.dat",
      ]
    },
    {
      "image": "/ISO/xubuntu-20.10-desktop-amd64.iso",
        "/persistence.dat",
      ]
    },
    {
      "image": "/ISO/easy-1.0.92.iso",
        "/persistence.dat",
      ]
    },
    {
      "image": "/ISO/easypup-2.5.1-en.iso",
      ]
    },
    {
      "image": "/ISO/MX-18.3_x64.iso",
        "/persistence_ext4_1GB_MX-Persist.dat",
        "/persistence_xfs_1GB_MX-Persist.dat"
      ]
    }
  ]
}

Abnormal size of the only proposed savefile whithout choice

I don't know if what I obtain using under bionic pup live with pmount :"invalid" 'v' option is right. It concerns the first partition containing in her root the persistence files

No idea about this

In this same situation gparted under bionic gives a warning message: "unable to read the content of this file system. Because of this some operations may be unavailable

Don't know why this partition can't be mounted. Could this cause a persistence repetitive failure.About boot, no more UEFI, but same failure when in used it
Pictures were too heavy, this is why I join a pdf file.

Many thanks again. Hope my difficulties could help other peoples.

Best regards [img=10x17]file:///tmp/lu22623cdzaqr.tmp/lu22623cdzat7_tmp_db920d7d7c18dbe4.png[/img][attachment=321]

As you can see, Im not easy whith how to layout . Apologies
(02-19-2021, 05:00 PM)Trytounderstand Wrote:
As you can see, Im not easy whith how to layout . Apologies

Layout corrected, NP.

Idea  FYI, if and when the same happens again, just try "Quick edit" from the post "Edit" button.
Idea When a post helps you in any way, please rate it. Thank you. [Image: rateit.png]
Many thanks Midas for correcting my precedent post. Shy
I had  joined a pdf file (with the screenshoots about how I had structured the usb key in order toi obtain persistence) .
May be this is not the best way about sharing pictures.
Is it better to choose many jpeg files (the original screenshoots)?
I wonder if it is necessary to get an url in order to become able to easy share pictures like this. Don't know what would be the more convenient.
If I succeed with your help, the help of any member to make all this easier, would be happy to try making a sort of mini tutorial.
Many thanks for your help and your patience. Smile
Trytounderstand Wrote: I had  joined a pdf file (with the screenshoots about how I had structured the usb key in order toi obtain persistence) .
May be this is not the best way about sharing pictures.
Is it better to choose many jpeg files (the original screenshoots)?

Personally, I have been using Postimage.org for this for years with good results...

If you're on Windows, they even have a (portable) app that does it all at once: https://postimages.org/app.
Idea When a post helps you in any way, please rate it. Thank you. [Image: rateit.png]
Many thanks again Midas. I was searching about what image hosting site I could use. I will try using Postimage too. Before that, should take some time in order to prepare something clear and usefull enough.
I'm Linux user with EasyOs Buster 2.3.8
My mothercard is a Gigabyte GA H81M-DS2. This motherboard belongs a dual boot. I have to keep working about bios, but out of ventoy, Fossapup can work with persistence on a basic 16 gb usb key with this hardware.
It seems that actually, the log dedicated to do this inside Bionic pup or Fossa pup allows this fine working of puppy distros on usb keys. But no success as i obtained it easy some years ago with Unetbootin. May be because I used older hardware.
Don't know if many people have encountered same difficulties. If i come back under windows 8, Unetbootin never ends his work.
Like thinking this difficulty gives a chance about getting more understanding.
I like too this concept named sisu in Finlande could be used in mind tenacity
Cordial greetings
Sorry, can't help much you there. I use Linux (mostly Debian/Ubuntu derivatives, like Mint and Peppermint) but am little more than a noob with them.

I have also used Unetbootin in the past with consistent good results -- but Windows tools like Rufus and especially Ventoy are unbeatable for flexibility and ease of use.

Lastly, the introduction of GPT/UEFI booting modes has introduced a lot of uncertainty to an area that was otherwise quite well understood under MBR/BIOS.